[Frameworks] This week [May 12 - 20, 2012] in avant garde cinema

Weekly Listing weeklylisting at hi-beam.net
Sat May 12 10:45:49 CDT 2012

This week [May 12 - 20, 2012] in avant garde cinema

To subscribe/unsubscribe to the weekly listing, go to
http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/mailto.pl?mailto=subscribe
or send an email to weeklylisting at hi-beam.net.

Enter your announcements (calls for entries, new work, screenings,
jobs, items for sale, etc.) at:

http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl

NEW FILM/VIDEO: NON-FEATURE:
============================
"Diluvi Privati I" by Andrea Vincenzi
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=newwork&readfile=498.ann

NEW CALLS FOR ENTRIES:
=====================
New Jersey Young Film & Videomakers Festival - NEW DEADLINE 6/25 (Jersey City, NJ, USA; Deadline: June 25, 2012)
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1443.ann
Space 1026 (Philadelphia, Pa; Deadline: July 22, 2012)
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1444.ann

DEADLINES APPROACHING:
======================
The Festival of (In)appropriation (Los Angeles, CA, USA; Deadline: May 15, 2012)
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1398.ann
Surplus/Lack (San Francisco Bay Area, USA; Deadline: May 15, 2012)
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1412.ann
YoungCuts Film Festival (Montreal, Quebec, CANADA; Deadline: June 15, 2012)
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1414.ann
EXiS (Seoul, South Korea; Deadline: June 01, 2012)
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1416.ann
Oblò Film Festival 2012 (Lausanne, Switzerland; Deadline: June 15, 2012)
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1418.ann
Dallas VideoFest 25 (Dallas, Texas, USA; Deadline: June 01, 2012)
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1425.ann
New Jersey Young Film & Videomakers Festival (Jersey City, NJ, USA; Deadline: May 30, 2012)
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1428.ann
Documentary shorts (New York, NY, USA; Deadline: May 15, 2012)
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1432.ann
Unreal Film Festival (Memphis, TN, USA; Deadline: May 15, 2012)
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1435.ann
Cellardoor Cinema Screenplay Contest (Memphis, TN, USA; Deadline: May 15, 2012)
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1436.ann
Arizona Underground Film Festival (Tucson, AZ, USA; Deadline: May 18, 2012)
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1439.ann

Enter your event announcements by going to the Flicker Weekly Listing Form
at http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/thisweek.pl

Also available online at Flicker: http://www.hi-beam.net

THIS WEEK'S PROGRAMS (SUMMARY):
==============================
 *  L.A. Filmforum Presents Moving Pictures: Painting, Photography, Film [May 12, Los Angeles, California]
 *  Los Angeles Filmforum Presents Moving Pictures: Painting, Photography,
    Film [May 12, Los Angeles, California]
 *  Where You Had Been: Six Films By Nick Collins, Peter Todd & Margaret Tait [May 12, Norwich, UK]
 *  Occupy Cinema! [May 12, San Francisco, California]
 *  Douglas Crimp Presents andy Warhol's Paul Swan [May 14, Brooklyn, NY]
 *  Stop & Go 3-D [May 16, Berlin, Germany]
 *  Pxl This 21 [May 17, Los Angeles, California]
 *  L.A. Filmforum Presents the Alternative Projections Marathon [May 18, Los Angeles, California]
 *  Los Angeles Filmforum Presents the Alternative Projections Marathon [May 18, Los Angeles, California]
 *  Essential Cinema: Blood of A Poet [May 18, New York, New York]
 *  Essential Cinema: Beauty and the Beast [May 18, New York, New York]
 *  <B>Crossroads Program 1:</B> <B><I>There Is A Presence
    Lingering...</B></I>  [May 18, San Francisco, California]
 *  <B>Crossroads Program 2</B> <B><I>Awe Shocks: Illusion Reigns</B></I> [May 18, San Francisco, California]
 *  New Works Salon: Calarts Edition [May 19, Los Angeles, California]
 *  Essential Cinema: Blood of A Poet [May 19, New York, New York]
 *  Essential Cinema: Beauty and the Beast [May 19, New York, New York]
 *  Essential Cinema: Orpheus [May 19, New York, New York]
 *  Vanessa Renwick's Charismatic Megafauna + [May 19, San Francisco, California]
 *  <B>Crossroads Program 4:</B> <B><I>Contemplation Is A Monstrous
    Task...</B></I> [May 19, San Francisco, California]
 *  <B>Crossroads Program 3</B> <B><I>Women With Flowers: Celebrating Chick
    Strand</B></I> [May 19, San Francisco, California]
 *  <B>Crossroads Program 5</B> <B><I>Apparent Motion: Projection
    Arts!</B></I> [May 19, San Francisco, California]
 *  L.A. Filmforum Presents L.A. Filmworks: the State of the Art In Los
    Angeles, 1980 [May 20, Los Angeles, California]
 *  Essential Cinema: Beauty and the Beast [May 20, New York, New York]
 *  Essential Cinema: Orpheus [May 20, New York, New York]
 *  Essential Cinema: the Testament of Orpheus [May 20, New York, New York]
 *  <B>Crossroads Program 6:</B><I>...For there Our Captors Demanded Songs of
    Joy</I> [May 20, San Francisco, California]
 *  <B>Crossroads Program 7 </B><I>California Dreaming: Films By Laida
    Lertxund</I>I [May 20, San Francisco, California]
 *  <B>Crossroads Program 8:</B><I>Voices For New Atlantis</I> [May 20, San Francisco, California]

Events are sorted by CITY within each DATE.

----------------------
SATURDAY, MAY 12, 2012
----------------------

5/12
Los Angeles, California: Filmforum
http://www.lafilmforum.org/
8:00pm, Echo Park Film Center, 1200 N. Alvarado St. (at Sunset)

 L.A. FILMFORUM PRESENTS MOVING PICTURES: PAINTING, PHOTOGRAPHY, FILM
  Movies are made up of many still images, moving rapidly through a
  projector. And they are among the two-dimensional pictorial arts, along
  with painting and photography. And here's a show bringing these ideas
  front and center, with lively deconstructions of movies into stills;
  commentaries on the "death" of painting; explorations into the
  possibility of making moving paintings; and intense explorations into
  the meaning of still images in the creation of identity of a people.
  Including films by many artists, often people who also work in paint:
  John Baldessari, Renate Druks, Paul McCarthy, Sam Erenberg, Morgan
  Fisher, Gary Beydler, and more! In person: Sam Erenberg (schedule
  permitting) Tickets: $10 general, $6 students/seniors, free for
  Filmforum members - available online at Brown Paper Tickets Screening:
  Production Stills (Morgan Fisher, 1970), Pasadena Freeway Stills (Gary
  Beydler, 1974), Walking Forward-Running Past (John Baldessari, 1971),
  Abacus (Lyn Gerry & Estelle Kirsh, 1980), A Painter's Journal (Renate
  Druks, 1967), The Last Statement of Painting I (Sam Erenberg, 1970), The
  Last Statement of Painting II (Sam Erenberg, 1970), Painting Face Down -
  White Line (Paul McCarthy, 1972), Whipping the Wall with Paint (Paul
  McCarthy, 1975), Powers of Ten (Charles & Ray Eames, 1973), Medea (Ben
  Caldwell, 1973), Chicana (Sylvia Morales, 1979)

5/12
Los Angeles, California: Echo Park Film Center
http://www.echoparkfilmcenter.org/
8 pm, 1200 N. Alvarado St (at Sunset)

 LOS ANGELES FILMFORUM PRESENTS MOVING PICTURES: PAINTING, PHOTOGRAPHY,
 FILM
  Part of Filmforum's series Alternative Projections: Experimental Film in
  Los Angeles, 1945-1980. Movies are made up of many still images, moving
  rapidly through a projector. And they are among the two-dimensional
  pictorial arts, along with painting and photography. And here's a show
  bringing these ideas front and center, with lively deconstructions of
  movies into stills; commentaries on the "death" of painting;
  explorations into the possibility of making moving paintings; and
  intense explorations into the meaning of still images in the creation of
  the identity of a people. Including films by many artists, often people
  who also work in paint: John Baldessari, Paul McCarthy, Sam Erenberg,
  Morgan Fisher, Gary Beydler, and more! Some in person. For full
  information & Tickets, please visit
  http://www.alternativeprojections.com/screening-series

5/12
Norwich, UK: Promontories
www.promontories.org
6pm, World Art & Museology Lecture Theatre, Sainsbury Centre for Visual Arts

 WHERE YOU HAD BEEN: SIX FILMS BY NICK COLLINS, PETER TODD & MARGARET TAIT
  A quest for the core of things, these six films circle the phenomenal
  and essential. Framed by two luminous works by the Orcadian poet
  Margaret Tait which summon the wild and elemental, films by Peter Todd
  and Nick Collins by contrast tackle the resolutely quotidian, bounded
  spaces of the domestic interior and the garden, yet in doing so reveal
  the wonder within; a world of enchantment. The screening will be
  introduced by artist and curator Peter Todd, who will take questions
  afterwards. A programme with full film notes will be available on the
  night. £3 ============== This screening coincides with the publication
  of Margaret Tait: Poems, Stories, Writings by Carcanet Press. Co-curated
  by the artists, with Adam Pugh. Many thanks to both Peter Todd and Nick
  Collins for making this screening possible; also to Ben Cook, LUX, and
  Simon Dell, School of World Art & Museology. All proceeds go to the
  artists to partly cover expenses.

5/12
San Francisco, California: Other Cinema
http://www.othercinema.com/
8:30pm, 992 Valencia Street

 OCCUPY CINEMA!
  OC proudly participates in a national day of honoring, through motion
  pictures, the ideas and actions of the worldwide Occupy movement. This
  2-hr. program proffers a plethora of testimonials, docs and agit-prop,
  all short-form works that illuminate the many facets of the 99%
  movement. Among the in-person pieces are David Martinez' Autumn Sun: The
  Story of Occupy Oakland, Michael Goodier/Jane Martin's Occupy Telephone,
  Molly Hankwitz' Pike Loop, Carla Leshne's Howard Zinn interview, and
  Julie Wyman's UCD crowd-sourced project. ALSO: Updates from Caitlin
  Manning and others, with tentative contributions from Martha Colburn,
  Jem Cohen, Les Leveque, Mike Kavanagh, and Black Hole. Come early for
  veggie BBQ on the street! $7 donation (no one turned away); portion of
  proceeds to OccupySF.

--------------------
MONDAY, MAY 14, 2012
--------------------

5/14
Brooklyn, NY: Light Industry
http://www.lightindustry.org/
6:30, 155 Freeman Street

 DOUGLAS CRIMP PRESENTS ANDY WARHOL'S PAUL SWAN
  Paul Swan, Andy Warhol, 16mm, 1965, 66 mins, Introduced by Douglas Crimp
  - Paul Swan is Andy Warhol's two-reel portrait of the dancer once billed
  as "the most beautiful man in the world." In 1965, when Warhol filmed
  him, Swan was eighty-two years old and still performing his aesthetic
  dance routines in weekly salons attended by the likes of Marcel Duchamp
  and Alexander Calder. In Warhol's film, Swan dances such numbers as "Two
  Hero's Slain," his elegy for World War I soldiers, "The Elements: Earth,
  Water, Fire, and Air—the Movements Seen and Unseen in Nature," and
  "Three Oriental Numbers" in skimpy costumes that he spends a great deal
  of the time getting into and out of. Paul Swan is one of the few films
  Warhol shot it color in 1965, and though the camera is stationary in the
  first reel, trained throughout on the tapestry backdrop Swan uses for a
  set, in the second reel Warhol zooms right in on Swan's aging flesh and
  shoe-polish eye make-up. For much of that reel, though, Swan remains
  off-stage (and off-screen) looking for a particular pair of black
  slippers that he insists must be worn with his French peasant costume.
  Swan's pianist helps him look for the slippers while the crew behind the
  camera becomes increasingly impatient to get Swan back in front of the
  camera. Not surprisingly, Warhol is content to let the action take its
  own course. Callie Angell wrote that "Warhol's interest in Paul Swan
  seems to have been based on the observation that, in his unswerving
  dedication to his increasingly anachronistic art form, Swan had become
  the living embodiment of camp." And in fact Swan had appeared in
  Warhol's film of that title around the same time that Paul Swan was
  made. Angell also noted that Swan's performance in Warhol's film recalls
  "the equally disorganized, equally uncompromising performances of Jack
  Smith," with whom he appears in Camp. - DC - For tonight's event, Crimp
  will read from his new book, "Our Kind of Movie": The Films of
  Andy Warhol. - Douglas Crimp teaches Visual and Cultural Studies at the
  University of Rochester. His previous books are On the Museum's Ruins
  (1993) and Melancholia and Moralism: Essays on AIDS and Queer Politics
  (2002). Crimp was the curator of the Pictures exhibition at Artists
  Space, New York in 1977 and an editor of October magazine from 1977 to
  1990. With Lynne Cooke, he organized the exhibition Mixed Use,
  Manhattan: Photography and Related Practices, 1970s to the Present for
  the Reina SofĂ­a in Madrid in the summer of 2010. He is
  currently working on a memoir of New York in the 1970s called Before
  Pictures. - Tickets - $7, available at door. - Please note: seating is
  limited. First-come, first-served. Box office opens at 7pm.

-----------------------
WEDNESDAY, MAY 16, 2012
-----------------------

5/16
Berlin, Germany: General Public
http://www.generalpublic.de/
8pm, Schönhauser Allee 167c

 STOP & GO 3-D
  The third installment of the Stop & Go stop-motion animation series will
  dramatically plays with our visual senses. Stobing effects, afterimages,
  anaglyphic experiments, optical elements and three-dimensional spoofs
  are all part of the show. The animations in this program are chosen from
  an open call for submissions and by invitation. Five of the animations
  in the program require the audience to wear red/cyan-colored glasses to
  fully appreciate the work. Additional opening hours: Thursday, May 17,
  2012, 3–6pm Total Running Time: 70 minutes For further information
  please visit: www.stopandgoshow.com/latest.html A cooperation between
  General Public and fluctuating images.

----------------------
THURSDAY, MAY 17, 2012
----------------------

5/17
Los Angeles, California: Echo Park Film Center
http://www.echoparkfilmcenter.org/
8 pm, 1200 N. Alvarado St (at Sunset)

 PXL THIS 21
  PXL THIS 21, the 21st annual toy camera film festival featuring
  Pixelvision films made with the Fisher-Price PXL-2000 camcorder and the
  second oldest film festival in LA, celebrates visionary moving image
  artists from 4-years-olds to professionals. All genres are here:
  avant-garde, comedy, documentary, abstract, music, art, narrative &
  films words cannot describe. "PXL is the ultimate people's video." - J.
  Hoberman. "If movies offer an escape from everyday life, Pixelvision is
  the Houdini of the film world." - SF Weekly. Director Gerry Fialka will
  be present for discussion.

--------------------
FRIDAY, MAY 18, 2012
--------------------

5/18
Los Angeles, California: Filmforum
http://www.lafilmforum.org/
8:00pm (to 2am 5/19), Echo Park Film Center, 1200 N. Alvarado St. (at Sunset)

 L.A. FILMFORUM PRESENTS THE ALTERNATIVE PROJECTIONS MARATHON
  Alternative Projections: Experimental Film in Los Angeles, 1945-1980 has
  featured over 26 shows since October 2012. For the penultimate
  experience, we celebrate with an incredible range of films and videos
  that we haven't squeezed into other screenings, with frequent breaks for
  socializing! Come at the start or in the middle! Some classics and lot
  of rarities will please you to no end! Films by Pat O'Neill, Louis Hock,
  Chick Strand, Susan Mogul, Roberta Friedman & Grahame Weinbren, Gary
  Beydler, Michael Scroggins, Beth Block, William Hale, Amy Halpern,
  Morgan Fisher, Diana Wilson, Curtis Harrington, home movies, and many
  more! In person: Lots of folks! Special thanks to: Everyone, but
  especially everyone who brings food and drink! Tickets: $10 general, $6
  students/seniors with ID; free for Filmforum members - available online
  at Brown Paper Tickets Screening: Come be surprised! We promise not to
  disappoint.

5/18
Los Angeles, California: Echo Park Film Center
http://www.echoparkfilmcenter.org/
8 pm – 2 am, 1200 N. Alvarado St (at Sunset)

 LOS ANGELES FILMFORUM PRESENTS THE ALTERNATIVE PROJECTIONS MARATHON
  Alternative Projections: Experimental Film in Los Angeles, 1945-1980 has
  featured over 24 shows since October 2011. Alternative Projections is
  Filmforum's exploration of the community of filmmakers, artists,
  curators and programmers who contributed to the creation and
  presentation of experimental film and video in Southern California in
  the postwar era. Tonight we celebrate with an incredible range of films
  and videos that we haven't squeezed into other screenings, with frequent
  breaks for socializing! Come at the start or in the middle! Some
  classics and lot of rarities will please you to no end! For full
  information, please visit
  http://www.alternativeprojections.com/screening-series/

5/18
New York, New York: Anthology Film Archives
http://www.anthologyfilmarchives.org/
5:30 pm, 32 2nd Avenue

 ESSENTIAL CINEMA: BLOOD OF A POET
  by Jean Cocteau In French with English subtitles, 1930, 53 minutes,
  35mm, b&w (LE SANG D'UN POÈTE) "Adolescent angels wandering about, black
  boxers with perfect bodies taking flight, school-children in capes
  killing each other with snowballs, a mirror becomes a swimming pool, and
  the hallways of a furnished hotel turn into a labyrinth." –Georges
  Sadoul

5/18
New York, New York: Anthology Film Archives
http://www.anthologyfilmarchives.org/
9:00 pm, 32 2nd Avenue

 ESSENTIAL CINEMA: BEAUTY AND THE BEAST
  by Jean Cocteau In French with English subtitles, 1946, 93 minutes,
  35mm, b&w (LA BELLE ET LA BÊTE) With Jean Marais and Josette Day; score
  by Georges Auric. "[P]erhaps the most sensuously elegant of all filmed
  fairy tales. As a child escapes from everyday family life to the magic
  of a storybook, so, in the film, Beauty's farm, with its Vermeer
  simplicity, fades in intensity as we are caught up in the Gustave Dore
  extravagance of the Beast's enchanted landscape. …Jean Marais is a
  magnificent beast." –Pauline Kael

5/18
San Francisco, California: San Francisco Cinematheque
http://www.sfcinematheque.org
7:00 PM, <B>Victoria Theatre</B> 2961 16th Street (between Mission and Van Ness)

 CROSSROADS PROGRAM 1: THERE IS A PRESENCE LINGERING...
  Remote (2011) by Jesse McLean; Love Rose (2010) by Bobby Abate; Leonora
  (2011) by Eliane Lima; With-Me-Not-Me (2011) by Olivia Ciummo; Song for
  the Collectors (2011) by Tommy Becker; Craig's Cutting Room Floor (2011)
  by Linda Scobie; One Way to Find Out (2012) by Scott Stark; The Pool
  (2011) by Christine Lucy Latimer; Araneae (Compound Eyes No. 4) (2011)
  by Paul Clipson; The Ape of Nature (2010) by Peggy Ahwesh

5/18
San Francisco, California: San Francisco Cinematheque
http://www.sfcinematheque.org
9:30 PM, <B>Victoria Theatre</B> 2961 16th Street (between Mission and Van Ness)

 CROSSROADS PROGRAM 2 AWE SHOCKS: ILLUSION REIGNS
  rites of alchemy (2011) by Moyah Pravda Newsreel; Village, silenced
  (2012) by Deborah Stratman; Penumbra Blind (2012) by Christina McPhee;
  Snakes and Ladders (2011) by Katherin McInnis; movement (2011) by Moyah
  Pravda Newsreel; Awe Shocks (2011) by Anja Dornieden and Juan David
  Gonzalez Monroy; Seeking the Monkey King (2011) by Ken Jacobs

----------------------
SATURDAY, MAY 19, 2012
----------------------

5/19
Los Angeles, California: Echo Park Film Center
http://www.echoparkfilmcenter.org/
8 pm, 1200 N. Alvarado St (at Sunset)

 NEW WORKS SALON: CALARTS EDITION
  A special CalArts student edition of the New Works Salon, in which
  several artists will present in-progress or recently completed works.
  This screening will present a broad range of film and video work being
  made at the California Institute of the Arts, undergraduate and graduate
  students from the film/video program, experimental animation and the
  school of art will be showcased. Former EPFC student and current teacher
  Walter Vargas will show Driving South Florence, a 16mm portrait on South
  Central made during his first year at CalArts, 16mm Standards of
  Perfection by Andrew Kim is not a film about miniature horses, Marisa
  Williamson presents a myth of origin--about Africans who could fly, who
  lost their wings on the Middle Passage, but relearned the ability to fly
  in a moment of danger, Jackson McCoy shares "an ocean" a meditation on
  water, film, wet film, and dry ice, Silvia das Fadas presents Apanhar
  Laranjas / Picking Oranges a 1 minute 16mm film, Calvin Fredrick made a
  film in which "A beef thief gets some ham lip and is hampered by the
  doo," all Ryan Betschart set out to do was to make an amazing Disney
  Channel Original Movie, but ended up making lo-fi demonic musings on his
  own childhood, John Warren will show his 16mm Poppy Fields Forever, Mike
  Stoltz will show In Between, and curator, EPFC staff member and current
  MFA student at CalArts Eve LaFountain will show her latest pinhole/8mm
  dual projection film Elderberry, Black Walnut, Oak.

5/19
New York, New York: Anthology Film Archives
http://www.anthologyfilmarchives.org/
5:30 pm, 32 2nd Avenue

 ESSENTIAL CINEMA: BLOOD OF A POET
  See notes for May 18, 7:30 pm.

5/19
New York, New York: Anthology Film Archives
http://www.anthologyfilmarchives.org/
7:00 pm, 32 2nd Avenue

 ESSENTIAL CINEMA: BEAUTY AND THE BEAST
  See notes for May 18, 9 pm.

5/19
New York, New York: Anthology Film Archives
http://www.anthologyfilmarchives.org/
9:00 pm, 32 2nd Avenue

 ESSENTIAL CINEMA: ORPHEUS
  by Jean Cocteau In French with English subtitles, 1950, 95 minutes,
  35mm, b&w (ORPHÉE) With Jean Marais. Orpheus and Eurydice, with Death
  waiting on the corner. Cocteau said, "Orpheus could only exist on the
  screen. A drama of the visible and the invisible, ORPHEUS's Death is
  like a spy who falls in love with the person being spied upon. The myth
  of immortality."

5/19
San Francisco, California: Other Cinema
http://www.othercinema.com/
8:30pm, 992 Valencia Street

 VANESSA RENWICK’S CHARISMATIC MEGAFAUNA +
  In this co-presentation with SF's Exploratorium, Portland personal-doc
  artiste Vanessa Renwick brings to the Bay Area the ambitious debut of
  her magnum opus on wolves, with live musical accompaniment! She
  interweaves Super8 and 16mm footage from her teenage life in inner-city
  Chicago, living and hitch-hiking with a wolf dog, with stunning
  documentation of the wolves' reintroduction into the Western US. Seattle
  composer/cellist Lori Goldston performs her original score, accompanied
  by vocalist Jessika Kenney, guitarist Dylan Carlson, and
  percussion/horn-player Greg Campbell. PLUS Vanessa's Mighty Tacoma
  opener, and a live musical interlude. $7.

5/19
San Francisco, California: San Francisco Cinematheque
http://www.sfcinematheque.org
4:30 PM, <B>Victoria Theatre</B> 2961 16th Street (between Mission and Van Ness)

 CROSSROADS PROGRAM 4: CONTEMPLATION IS A MONSTROUS TASK...
  Don't Look Directly into the Sun (2010) by Kathleen Rugh; Dark Enough
  (2011) by Jeanne Liotta; These Blazeing Starrs! (2011) by Deborah
  Stratman; End Transmission (2010) by Yin-Ju Chen and James T. Hong;
  Landfill 16 (2011) by Jennifer Reeves; Curious Light (2011) by Charlotte
  Pryce; Valleys of Fear (2010) by Erin Espelie

5/19
San Francisco, California: San Francisco Cinematheque
http://www.sfcinematheque.org
2:00 PM, <B>Victoria Theatre</B> 2961 16th Street (between Mission and Van Ness)

 CROSSROADS PROGRAM 3 WOMEN WITH FLOWERS: CELEBRATING CHICK STRAND
  To leave out the spirit of the people presents a thin tapestry of the
  culture, easy to rent, lacking in strength and depth. I want to know
  really what it is like to be a breathing, talking, moving, emotional,
  relating individual in the society.—Chick Strand (1931–2009) In the
  early 1960s, with co-conspirator Bruce Baillie, Chick Strand was
  instrumental in the foundation of both Canyon Cinema and San Francisco
  Cinematheque, presenting guerilla-style underground film screenings
  across the Bay Area for much of that decade. As a filmmaker known for a
  sensuous lyricism (frequently seen,paradoxically, in her "experimental
  ethnographies") Strand's films epitomized "west coast" American
  filmmaking at its very best, with a matter-of-fact folk wisdom, humor
  and profound sensitivity embodied in all of her varied works. On the
  occasion of the completion of her final work, Señora con Flores,
  Cinematheque is proud to celebrate this inspirational figure. Screening:
  Senora con Flores/Woman with Flowers (1995/2011) by Chick Strand;
  Kristallnacht (1979) by Chick Strand; Soft Fiction (1979) by Chick
  Strand; Angel Blue Sweet Wings (1966) by Chick Strand

5/19
San Francisco, California: San Francisco Cinematheque
http://www.sfcinematheque.org
8:30 PM, <B>Victoria Theatre</B> 2961 16th Street (between Mission and Van Ness)

 CROSSROADS PROGRAM 5 APPARENT MOTION: PROJECTION ARTS!
  APPARENT MOTION celebrates the art of projection, the cinematic
  exhibition apparatus exposed as a primal light and sound machine, an
  invention without a future, ripe for rediscovery. Evening includes
  performances by Gerritt Wittmer and Paul Knowles: Myth of Persistence
  (2012); Kerry Laitala: The Color Red Bleeds Blue (2011–12) with live
  score by John Davis; Greg Pope: Cipher Screen (2010–12) with live score
  by John Hegre

--------------------
SUNDAY, MAY 20, 2012
--------------------

5/20
Los Angeles, California: Filmforum
http://www.lafilmforum.org/
7:30pm (box office opens 6:30, doors open 7), Spielberg Theatre at the Egyptian, 6712 Hollywood Blvd.

 L.A. FILMFORUM PRESENTS L.A. FILMWORKS: THE STATE OF THE ART IN LOS
 ANGELES, 1980
  In the early 1980s, Filmforum's Terry Cannon assembled a few mixed shows
  for touring of experimental films by Los Angeles filmmakers. Along with
  Filmforum Film, a document of Filmforum in 1980, selections from these
  shows, and maybe some additional treats, prove a fitting conclusion to
  Alternative Projections, revealing the state of the art in Los Angeles,
  circa 1980. We'll have a great mix of films, with experimental,
  animated, conceptual, and documentary works, followed by a celebratory
  reception! In person: Betzy Bromberg, Terry Cannon, Tom Leeser, Craig
  Rice, William Scaff, Keith Ullrich (schedules permitting) For full
  information, please visit
  http://www.alternativeprojections.com/screening-series/l-a-filmworks-the
  -state-of-the-art-in-los-angeles-1980/ The show is free! Reservations
  recommended, and will be held until 7:15 pm on show night, at which time
  they will be released to anyone present. Reservations available at
  http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/246038 Screening (subject to
  change): Zulu As Konoe (Craig Rice, 1980, 5 min), Renee Walking/TV
  Talking (Tom Leeser, 1980, 10 min), Soothing the Bruise (Betzy Bromberg,
  1980, 21 min), Rose for Red (Diana Wilson, 1980, 3 min), The Dream
  Trilogy (William Scaff, 36 min), Filmforum Film (Craig Rice, 1980, 4
  min)

5/20
New York, New York: Anthology Film Archives
http://www.anthologyfilmarchives.org/
4:45 pm, 32 2nd Avenue

 ESSENTIAL CINEMA: BEAUTY AND THE BEAST
  See notes for May 18, 9 pm.

5/20
New York, New York: Anthology Film Archives
http://www.anthologyfilmarchives.org/
6:45 pm, 32 2nd Avenue

 ESSENTIAL CINEMA: ORPHEUS
  See notes for May 19, 9 pm.

5/20
New York, New York: Anthology Film Archives
http://www.anthologyfilmarchives.org/
8:45 pm, 32 2nd Avenue

 ESSENTIAL CINEMA: THE TESTAMENT OF ORPHEUS
  by Jean Cocteau In French with no subtitles (English synopsis
  available), 1959, 83 minutes, 35mm, b&w (LE TESTAMENT D'ORPHÉE) To
  Cocteau, "poet" meant the creative artist, and the Orpheus of Greek
  mythology – the god of the lyre, song and poetry – was Cocteau's
  personal muse. For Cocteau the plight of the poet was an unending search
  for truth and immortality, a life of suffering and martyrdom during
  which the poet must experience many deaths."

5/20
San Francisco, California: San Francisco Cinematheque
http://www.sfcinematheque.org
3:00 PM, <B>Victoria Theatre</B> 2961 16th Street (between Mission and Van Ness)

 CROSSROADS PROGRAM 6:...FOR THERE OUR CAPTORS DEMANDED SONGS OF JOY
  Man Is Always on the Stairs Between the Pleats of Matter and the Fields
  of the Soul (2011) by Jing Niu; L'eau, l'air et les songes (Water, air
  and dreams) (2009) by Cecile Ravel and Jean-Marc Manteau; Their Bird
  (2010) by Rei Hayama; Crusts (2011) by Alexander Stewart; Last Time
  (2011) by Julia Shirar; Light Licks: By the Waters of Babylon: This
  Could Be the Last Time (2011) by Saul Levine; A Child Goes Burying Dead
  Insects (Kodomo ga Mushi no Shigai wo Umeni Iku) by Rei Hayama

5/20
San Francisco, California: San Francisco Cinematheque
http://www.sfcinematheque.org
5:30 PM, <B>Victoria Theatre</B> 2961 16th Street (between Mission and Van Ness)

 CROSSROADS PROGRAM 7 CALIFORNIA DREAMING: FILMS BY LAIDA LERTXUNDI
  Laida Lertxundi (b. Bilbao, 1981) makes films with non-actors that evoke
  external and internal spaces of intimacy. Through intricate arrangements
  of actions and sounds, her work explores how filmic moments can be
  imbued with emotional resonance. As her cinema questions how viewers'
  desires and expectations are shaped by cinematic forms of storytelling,
  it also searches for alternative ways of linking sound and music with
  found locales, constructed situations and quotidian environments. Shot
  within and around Los Angeles, her films map out a geography of
  landscapes transformed by affective and subjective states. Program
  includes a selection of Lertxundi's recent films and three short films
  which have been an inspiration. Screening: Farce Sensationelle! (2009)
  by Laida Lertxundi; Lemon (1969) by Hollis Frampton; Footnotes to a
  House of Love (2007) by Laida Lertxundi; My Tears Are Dry (2009) by
  Laida Lertxundi; All My Life (1966) by Bruce Baillie; Llora Cuando Te
  Pase/Cry When It Happens (2011) by Laida Lertxundi; A Lax Riddle Unit
  (2011) by Laida Lertxundi

5/20
San Francisco, California: San Francisco Cinematheque
http://www.sfcinematheque.org
7:30 PM, <B>Victoria Theatre</B> 2961 16th Street (between Mission and Van Ness)

 CROSSROADS PROGRAM 8:VOICES FOR NEW ATLANTIS
  9214 (2010) by Takahiro Suzuki; The Voice of God (2010) by Bernd
  Lutzeler; Sounding Glass (2011) by Sylvia Schedelbauer; FF (2010) by
  Deborah Stratman; River Rites (2011) by Ben Russell; Slow Action (2010)
  by Ben Rivers

Enter your event announcements by going to the Flicker Weekly Listing Form
at http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/thisweek.pl

The weekly listing is also available online at Flicker:
http://www.hi-beam.net