[Frameworks] film analysis again

Jonathan Walley walleyj at denison.edu
Sat May 19 08:02:50 CDT 2012

David Bordwell's book on Ozu is a towering achievement. And it's
available for free pdf download here:
https://www.cjspubs.lsa.umich.edu/electronic/facultyseries/list/series/ozu.php

In a very different way, Bazin's book on Renoir. "The French
Renoir" (Chapter 5) is perhaps the best, most complete, and most
sophisticated statement of Bazin's aesthetic. Some of its passages are
pure poetry, too.

Not so many books on avant-garde/experimental filmmakers come to mind.
Lots of essay collections dedicated to a single filmmaker (e.g. the
recent book on Ken Jacobs), but fewer sustained, book-length efforts.
Several on Warhol, of course, but it's practically impossible to cover
his total body of film work. JJ Murphy's recent THE BLACK HOLE OF THE
CAMERA comes closest, and I highly recommend it.

Jonathan

Jonathan Walley
Associate Professor of Cinema
Denison University