[Frameworks] Exposure question

Abigail Severance bellecote at mac.com
Thu Nov 1 20:17:32 CDT 2012

If I'm understanding the set up, the illuminated monitor works like a light source, so you would use a spot meter to measure the intensity of the illuminated/reflected video image. Many film SLRs have one built in.

One issue to consider is if the monitor itself (beyond the edges of the screen) is also part of the new film-still image, in which case you'd want to measure that area with an incident meter and see if your stock's latitude can hold both, and if so, what stop to set to keep detail in both the very bright screen and the less bright monitor. ND gel over the screen would bring down the brightness if you need to get it closer to the monitor reading. Be sure meters are set to still image reading, not "cine" setting.
Abigail

<> sent from abigail severance's cloud <> bellecote at mac.com <> 310.508.0352 <> www.film.calarts.edu