[Frameworks] Regeneration Festival

Stuart Heaney chamber.of.curiosities at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 16:54:15 CST 2012

Coming very soon in the UK: Regeneration Festival
<http://www.regenerationfestival.org.uk/>at West London's
Tabernacle<http://www.tabernaclew11.com/whats-on/>

Two days of talks and interactive and live arts exploring altered states of
consciousness. For the full programme, click
here<http://www.regenerationfestival.org.uk/programme.html>
.

On the Sunday 18th November, between 6-7pm, I will present (with a little
help from the brilliant Ian Helliwell) a 60 minute programme of short
experimental film and video work exploring the influence of the psychedelic
experience on film culture and moving image arts and vice versa. The
original intention was to screen an abridged version of the 16mm film
programme Solar Flares Burn For
You<http://www.antigravitychamber.co.uk/images>.
Instead, we've opted for a programme of film and video hybrids that we hope
will stimulate discussion. The intention is to induce a cine-aesthetic
experience somewhat akin to an altered state of consciousness - if not its
own form of altered audiovisual state.

The programme will consist of:

   - a very rarely screened 1960s narrative film by the shadowy Dunstan
   Pereira <http://ftvdb.bfi.org.uk/sift/individual/21275> that explores a
   middle-aged mental breakdown in Notting Hill (appropriately, the event's
   location), that, like Chris Marker's <http://www.chrismarker.org/>earlier La
   Jetee <http://www.shortoftheweek.com/2012/07/30/la-jetee/>, is narrated
   entirely in still photographs, but uses extensive effects as the
   protagonists state alters;
   - a 1991 Jeff
Keen<http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2012/jun/24/jeff-keen>(RIP)
Super 8 and video hybrid that enacts the human psyche under
   warmongering news saturation;
   - some relatively recent short film-video hybrids with analogue
   electronic soundtracks composed using home made (and self-invented)
   instruments by Brighton's own mad professor, Ian
Helliwell<http://ianhelliwell.co.uk/>(who will be present at the
screening to discuss his work)
   - and will close with a rather magical 3D video experience constructed
   from light experiments using
Kodachrome<http://www.thehistoryblog.com/archives/7694>by San
Francisco's Kerry
   Laitala <http://www.antigravitychamber.co.uk/wp-admin/kerrylaitala.net/>.

Here's the poster - come join us and regenerate friends!

[image: Inline image 1]