[Frameworks] contributors ....

David Tetzlaff djtet53 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 08:20:35 CDT 2012

Jack:

It might help if you could define the borders of the cinematic domain you want to include/exclude. I assume it's not exclusively experimental/avant garde, but are you also including standard Hollywood fare*, crappy exploitation films (as well as hip, self-aware stuff), documentaries, etc.? And how literal would the invocation of magic or occultism need to be in the work? For example, a lot of narrative film seem to rely on and celebrate 'magical' plot mechanisms in a similar sense as described by Raymond Williams in "Advertising: The Magic System." I'd guess, just knowing your previous work, that this is probably not what you're looking for, but I'm just using it as an example.

I realize editors want to cast a wide net in order to get a strong field, but they also have a responsibility to would-be contributors who might be wasting time and effort preparing proposals or submissions that are just out of right field for the theme (LEFT field, being sinister, not being an appropriate trope).

> I'm currently editing a volume on magic / the occult and cinema, and I'm interested in contributors, especially on lesser known filmmakers and works or offering new approaches to more familiar filmmakers working (or who have worked) in the area. I'm also very interested in writers on works from Japan and China.
>
> Email me OFF LIST for details .
>
> best
>
> Jack

* How about: "Whoah, THAT's fucked!" Drive Angry versus Ghostrider 2?