[Frameworks] Production Code

Royce Marcus (Film) roycemarcusfilms at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 09:01:44 CDT 2012

I also can't answer your original question, but I'd like to reinforce what
Johnathan has said and add some of my own findings.  My senior thesis was
an investigation between the intersections of American Avant-Garde cinema
and American Pornography, specifically in the '60s and '70s, and the
filmmakers of the avant-garde really didn't care about censorship, be it
from the Production Code, or more severe legal repercussions from obscenity
laws.  Most avant-garde filmmakers were content presenting their films in
microcinemas or film societies, right beside exploitation, sexploitation,
and pornographic films.  It wasn't until Jack Smith's Flamming Creatures
went in front Federal Court that the avant-garde had to defend itself.
Even then, most avant-garde filmmakers were only looking to defend
themselves (in the legal realm at least).  It was pornographic filmmakers
that were much more aggressive when it terms of directly challenging and
fighting things like the Production Code, obscenity laws, etc.

I don't have access to the book, but while I'd say there were for fewer
venues for Anger and other avant-grade filmmakers, gay or otherwise, to
release there work in the '40s and '50s, they still clearly did and they
had enough of an impact and relevance to be recognized throughout the
decades.  Not sure if this helps.  Best of luck!

Royce

Royce Marcus
919-616-5425
RoyceMarcusFilms at gmail.com