[Frameworks] Re earlier inquiry about film leaders

Mark Toscano fiddybop at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 9 12:55:49 CDT 2012

I had thought the initial request was not just about leader in general, but had some more specific focus, but maybe I misunderstood.  Here are some more films that deal with leader as a foregrounded subject or device of sorts:

"Leader", "Cross Cut - A Blue Movie" and "Red Stockings" by Robert Huot
"Colorfilm" by Standish Lawder
"Report" and "Ten Second Film" by Bruce Conner
"Standard Gauge" and "Cue Rolls" by Morgan Fisher

Plenty of filmmakers have used bits of leaders here and there in there films as formal devices, or for some other effect.  Pat O'Neill has a bit in some of his films, like Runs Good.  Brakhage did it a ton, but not really for a leader-as-leader effect, rather he used clear and color leaders for their specific color properties.  Scenes From Under Childhood is loaded with colored plastic leader.  Robert Nelson did it a lot, but no one of his films really focuses on leader itself as the subject.  I'd probably say leaders have their most significant use in his film Suite California Stops & Passes Part 1.

"Girls on Film" by Julie and Karin is also a 35mm short film, deriving from the photo exhibit they created.

Genevieve Yue has been researching china girls, and has put together a program of china girl related films at Anthology for sometime this Fall.  I could list some of them, but you'd have a more definitive list when her program is printed, presumably soon.

Mark Toscano