[Frameworks] single frames online?

Alistair Stray alistair.stray at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 22:33:53 CDT 2012

The only way to do it with really good results with H264 I guess is to set
the Keyframes to 1 so basically you just get a stream of I-Frames (as in
fully encoded stills). Basically an Intra file, a file with a GOP of 1
(group-of-pictures). Wherever you host it though is going to reencode it
with a longer GOP, but vimeo will at least allow you to make the original
file downloadable. The file will have to be very large though compared to a
normal H264 encoded file, as you'll need to set a high bitrate to make sure
you're not starving the I-Frames. For example the AVC-Intra flavour of H264
has a fixed bitrate (CBR) of 100Mbps. I shoot an Intra format with my
camera that tends to be around 120-140Mbps, but I'm not making single frame
films so I can re-encode with a much longer GOP.