[Frameworks] [Experimental Film Discussion List] Super8 B&W help

Royce Marcus RoyceMarcusFilms at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 09:00:37 CDT 2012

Jason, sadly there is no Super 8 sound film which is actively being
produced, at least that I've found.  You would either have to buy a very
expensive camera from Pro8mm with Crystal Sync sound or use another
external sound recorder.  A word of caution with either of these methods
(mostly the second).  For both methods you will have to shoot at 24FPS,
which isn't terrible but the "true" Super8 look is done in 18FPS and if you
don't have a more advanced Super8 camera, 18FPS might be your only option.
Additionally, Super8 was always designed as a consumer product, so no
matter what frame rate you shoot at, it won't be consistent.  I.e. 18FPS
will always be about 18FPS with minor fluctuations because of how the film
travels and is delivered through the camera.  Same with 24FPS.

Believe me, I love Super8, but it's really not a reliable way to go for
sound.  If you have access to a 16mm camera and external audio, that would
probably be much easier.  Otherwise, I would consider creative ways to fake
it on set with techniques that avoid the actors mouths during dialogue or
other creative methods in post.  Just plan it out!

Royce

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 1:50 AM, Jason Stauffacher <
jasonstauffacher at gmail.com> wrote:

> *My brother and I want to direct and do some short films with Kodak's
> B&W.  We will transfer it to DVD and then to our laptops after we film on
> the Super8 cameras.  Is there a way to get sound onto it?  We cannot film
> sound, or is that way still optional?  I was told there is no longer Super8
> sound anymore.   I can put music on any file, but I am wondering how to
> make the actors have a voice with Super8 filming.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> -Jason*

Royce Marcus
919-616-5425