[Frameworks] My Trip to PFA and Canyon Cinema Part 6

Doug Chaffin("Douglas Graves") dgtolstoy at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 11 23:43:34 UTC 2013

Wed, Oct 3rd, 2012

The next day of my trip I went back to PFA to watch the titles I couldn't see on celluloid, the ones they only had on DVD and VHS, and I'm grateful to have enjoyed some great stuff.

"Music of the Spheres" Jordan Belson

A miracle of a movie! Truly astounding even for Mr. Belson. I think this is the best movie of his I have ever seen. I feel it is comparable in quality and mesmerizing beauty to James Whitney's masterpieces. It may not be as spectacular and dynamic as Mr. Whitney's movies but I feel it is as astonishingly beautiful and hypnotic as they but in it's own different kinds of ways. It really did take me by surpise even though I knew already how great Belson's work is. I still wasn't prepared for how wonderful this was going to be. I really think he achieved a level of exquisite detailed kinetic beauty that surpasses almost any other movie I've seen.

It possesses a fantastic ceaseless uninterrupted flow, a forward moving progression that is irresistible. The illumination effects are remarkably resonant and energizing. This work is both meditatively calming and kinesthetic and energizing at once somehow. The pacing is excellent, it keeps on changing nonstop with one great visual effect after another, constantly transforming and morphing. The colors and motions are deeply pleasurable and elevating. All matched with scintillating sounds that are enveloping and magical sounding. A really marvelous effective sound design for his great imagery. This movie does have to be seen to be believed. Even people who have enjoyed his other work but haven't seen this one yet are in for an incredible treat!

Douglas Graves

4636 Talbot Drive
Boulder, CO 80303

702-580-4293