[Frameworks] Question For Gene Youngblood

Gene Youngblood atopia at comcast.net
Mon Apr 22 00:16:29 UTC 2013

Doug,
Among other things, Expanded Cinema was about the moving image becoming electronic and therefore no longer medium-specific, and some implications of that.  As far as I know, Ed didn’t begin working with video until 1972, when he made Scape-Mates at  the Experimental Television Center at WNET. Scape-Mates was a pioneering work, however, as it was among the first, if not the very first, “film” in which photographed human beings interacted with an entirely synthetic electronic environment. If Ed had made it three years earlier it most certainly would have been in Expanded Cinema.

I’m currently building a website that will have everything I ever wrote (including the review of Relativity in the Los Angeles Herald-Examiner) – except  the 150 articles I wrote for the Los Angeles Free Press, which I’m collecting in a book. They include the original articles that became Expanded Cinema. As an added perk, there’s a lot of psychedelic graphics from the pages of the Free Press that appear for the first time in book form, including the amazing surrealism of Chick Strand’s husband Martin Muller (“Neon Park”). He’s known for his album covers, but these are full-page ads he did for KPPC Radio in the sixties. I’m reproducing them as much in memory of Chick as of Marty.

The website should be ready this fall, and the Free Press book will be published next year. Also this fall I’m starting a blog called “Secession From the Broadcast,” which is about my work in radical media theory. The website is the past, the blog is the future. Its subtitle is “Leave the Culture Without Leaving the Country.” Thanks for your interest...