[Frameworks] experiments in cinema

Bernard Roddy roddybp at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 23 01:12:27 UTC 2013

Bryan, that was amazing.  If it appeared at one time that the meaning of a film screening were being lost, Experiments in Cinema is correcting the impression.  I don't understand how there could be so many people in a cinema theater, night after night, in the middle of the week as well as on Saturday, and for experimental work - new work!  No classics of the avant-garde here.  On Sunday at noon?  For work devoted to "collaborations with the earth"?  In Albuquerque?  What is going on!  It has been a very long time since I waited in anticipation for a screening like I did last week - again and again.  It's not the academic careers sustained by such a program, or the educational value of such an experience to people in town: I keep thinking about what it must've been like early on, sitting up there in the front row during the screenings of particularly demanding works, at a time when film . . even video . . the whole theatrical experience, really,
 has seemed an anachronism.  Sitting up there, then, after listing the sponsors.  And how could such an event draw such sponsorship?  I don't understand.  I don't need to understand.  The work in video from Turkey that Ekrem Serder showed renewed my interest in abstraction.  Again and again a film was shown with an optical sound track, an experiment, really.  I didn't even see it all.  I could afford to be annoyed.  I could afford to walk out of a show early.  I could afford to be an asshole.

Bernie