[Frameworks] Looping Super 8

todd eacrett hellbox at agit-prop.com
Tue Apr 23 21:46:30 UTC 2013

There were Technicolor Super 8 projectors which have a reloadable
endless loop cartridge. Just slots into the projector like an 8-Track.
I've seen them used by a couple of different filmmakers for
installations and expanded cinema performances. The projectors are not
terribly bright (150 watt, maybe?), and the cartridges can jam, but
having the film enclosed keeps it a lot cleaner than a loop running
around the room on rollers.

We had an installation at Antimatter a couple years ago by Kyle
Whitehead that used two of these (highly modifed) projectors and it ran
relatively trouble-free for the 10 days. Alex MacKenzie had a
performance some years back using three of them and a multitude of
cartridges loaded with his own rephotographed and hand-processed loops.

Cheers,

Todd Eacrett
Victoria, BC, Canada