[Frameworks] CFP: Defining Experimental and Art Films in Middle Eastern Cinemas

Samirah Alkassim deristea at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 14:13:30 UTC 2013

        Paper proposals sponsored by the Middle East Caucus are sought for
the following panel to be submitted for consideration to the Society of
Cinema and Media Studies 2013-14 Program Committee. This is for the
conference in Seattle, WA in March. Please go to this link:
https://cmstudies.site-ym.com/?page=upcoming_conference.

In the Middle East, many film movements, films, and filmmakers have defined
themselves as experimental, marginal, or avant-garde in relationship to
other dominant orders of expressions, be it mainstream or commercial. The
definition of Middle Eastern experimental cinemas relates to dynamic
political, social, and aesthetic attributes that need critical elaboration.
What is the relationship between the political and aesthetic changes in
defining what is experimental or art cinema? How has experimentation of the
past influenced the present?  How does the term experimental connect with
terms like postcolonial, postmodern, or revolutionary cinema?  We invite
papers that will investigate the definition of the experimental or art film
in specific Middle Eastern Cinemas. The definition of Middle Eastern
cinemas for this panel transcends simple location or identity as we are
using Middle Eastern in the most inclusive way. We encourage proposals that
choose specific movements like the Iranian New Wave,  "*Küçük Sinemalar! *in
Turkey, specific directors and artists, or specific types of experimental
film.

Proposals are due on August 21. They should be 250-300 words with a
bibliography, and a short bio.  Please send to the following emails:
nezarajaj at hotmail.com, and deristea at gmail.com