[Frameworks] super-8 to 16mm blow ups?

Jeff Kreines jeff at kinetta.com
Sat Dec 7 18:39:58 UTC 2013

You have to be careful.  I have recently scanned S8 film that had been blown up on a JK printer, and there was severe perf damage that entered the image area.  This was caused by a slightly misaligned JK projector head.

These days I am not sure if 16mm blowups from S8 are the best way to go unless you really need 16mm prints.  We have been doing a lot of 3.3K scans from Super-8 for theatrical documentaries and the quality is excellent — much better control over contrast, and better resolution because of the lack of generation loss.  See OUR NIXON for an example.  2K isn’t really enough for S8, as odd as that seems, and HD certainly isn’t enough (for the original scan resolution).    See this for some examples:  http://db.tt/5SlAVkbT

Jeff Kreines
Kinetta
jeff at kinetta.com
kinetta.com