[Frameworks] projector-less film loops

Jonathan Walley walleyj at denison.edu
Tue Dec 17 17:12:54 UTC 2013

Rebecca,

Writings by and about Paul Sharits would be a good place to start. Sharits' installations included the presentation of 16mm filmstrips without projection, but also used a lot of looping on multiple 16mm projectors. There is an entire issue of Film Culture dedicated to his work; many of his own writings are available online - a little Googling should turn them up. I also highly recommend Federico Windhausen's writing on Sharits.

Ron Green wrote a piece on the loop for a recent issue of Millennium Film Journal. "The Re-Emergence of the Film/video Loop," it's called, in issue 55, I think. "Darkened Rooms: A Genealogy of Avant-Garde Filmstrips from Man Ray to the London Film-Makers’ Co-op and Back Again" by Noam Elcott is also good reading. It's in Grey Room #30.

Sandra Gibson and Luis Recoder's work makes use of the loop, and in some cases makes film loops visible without projection, as objects in and of themselves. Again, a web search should turn up abundant info on their work.

Hope this helps - lots more out there but this is off the top of my head and now I've got to get back to grading.
Best,
Jonathan

Dr. Jonathan Walley
Associate Professor