[Frameworks] Journal Filmmakers and Videomakers

Abigail Severance bellecote at mac.com
Wed Feb 6 06:49:38 UTC 2013

Warren Sonbert's 'Carriage Trade' and others.
Wendy Clarke 'Love Tapes'
Su Friedrich 'Seeing Red'
early Cheryl Dunye, esp "The Potluck & The Passion'
Carolee Scheemann - Fuses, Plumbline
Robert Frank - Paper Route & other Mabou films
Guy Maddin - My Winnipeg & Cowards Bend the Knee
George Kuchar - Weather Diary

Vlogs are an important new addition to cinematic diary modes. Are you including fiction, performance or hybrid approaches to diary, or strictly filmmaker-as-self modes of journaling? (Any definition raises lots of performativity questions.) If you're not concerned with strictly "authentic" diaries: Hennessy Youngman, Lonelygirl15 and well, Facebook.

To open the term journal to self-portraiture and/or essay-driven work, you might also look at Experimental Ethnography: The Work of FIlm in the Age of Video  by Catherine Russell.

Abigail

Abigail Severance | 310-508-0352 | abigailseverance.com