[Frameworks] Chicago 8 Small Gauge Festival West Coast Tour

Karen Johannesen karenajohannesen at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 21:16:12 UTC 2013

I'm very happy to announce I'll be sharing highlights of The Chicago 8
Small Gauge Film Festival in San Francisco and Los Angeles over the next
two weeks. I'll be stopping at: San Francisco Cinematheque, Echo Park Film
Center, Otis College of Art & Design and at CalArts, where I'm delighted to
also share a few of my own super 8 films. Each screening will be slightly
different.

The C8FF is an annual 8mm experimental film festival dedicated to
exhibiting current and historical small gauge works on *film*. Our goal is
to keep small gauge filmmaking alive, to encourage further activity in
small formats, and to provide an opportunity for these rare gems to be seen
by the Chicago community and *beyond*. We realize how delicate and
impermanent Super 8mm & small gauge filmmaking is, now more than ever. We
feel it is of upmost importance to share these films with you and along the
way we hope to inspire and support those who bravely continue to work in
these small formats.

*San Francisco Cinematheque. Sunday, February, 24th at ATA @ 7:30 PM*
Presented by SF Cinematheque with Janis Crystal Lipzin, Ross Meckfessel and
Chicago 8 co-founder Karen Johannesen In Person.

Founded in 2011, the annual Chicago 8 Small Gauge Film Festival is
dedicated to encouraging and supporting filmmakers working the 8mm and
Super-8mm formats through the exhibition of contemporary and historical
works created in these humble yet inspiring gauges. Tonight Chicago 8
co-founder Karen Johannesen appears in person to present aselection from
the fest’s first two years including: Mie Kurihara’s *Small Poetry* and
Sheri Wills’ *Fever*, each ethereal and poignant meditations on light and
shadow; Jason Halprin’s *I Colonize The Golden Triangle*, a travelogue
documenting the maker’s travels through Northern India; Pablo Marin’s *Diario
Colorado*, a fluid, masterful, multiple exposure study; Ross Meckfessel’s *He,
She, I Was*, a series autobiographical fragments of friends’ lives; and
Tara Nelson’s, *Flying Fish*, a home movie which brings us into the
intimate living space of the filmmaker’s sister. Also screening: Paul
Clipson’s *Another Void*; Clint Enns’ *Sears Catalogue 2011/broadcast/a
single tear*; Sam Hoolihan’s *Summer Elsewhere*; Saul Levine’s *Light
Licks: By The Waters of Babylon: I Want To Paint It Black*; Janis Crystal
Lipzin’s *De Luce*; Gordon Nelson’s *Feather*; Pablo Valencia’s *Blindside
II*; Naren Wilks’ *Collide-o-scope*; Tony Wu’s *More Intimacy *and
Stephanie Wuertz’ *Luilekkerland*. (Steve Polta & Karen Johannesen)
*Echo Park Film Center. Saturday, March 2nd @ 8 PM*
*
*
Pablo Valencia and Chicago 8 co-founder Karen Johannesen In Person

Screening: Mie Kurihara's *Small Poetry* and Sheri Wills' *Fever*, each
ethereal and poignant meditations on light and shadow; Jason Halprin’s *I
Colonize The Golden Triangle*, a travelogue documenting the maker’s travels
through Northern India; Pablo Marin's *Diario Colorado*, a fluid,
masterful, multiple exposure study; Ross Meckfessel's *He, She, I Was*, a
series autobiographical fragments of friends’ lives; and Tara Nelson's, *Flying
Fish*, a home movie which brings us into the intimate living space of the
filmmaker. Also screening: Paul Clipson’s *Another Void*; Clint Enns’ *Sears
Catalogue 2011/broadcast/a single tear*; Sam Hoolihan’s *Summer Elsewhere*;
Saul Levine’s *Light Licks: By The Waters of Babylon: I Want To Paint It
Black*; Janis Crystal Lipzin’s *Micro Celluloid Incidents in 4 Santas*;
Gordon Nelson’s *Feather*; Pablo Valencia’s *Blindside II*; Naren Wilks’ *
Collide-o-scope*; Tony Wu’s More *Intimacy* and Stephanie Wuertz’ *
Luilekkerland*.

*CalArts. Tuesday, March 5th *

Chicago 8 co-founder Karen Johannesen In Person

Karen Johannesen will present 4 of her films: Resonance, Daylight & The
Sun, Light Speed and Light Quanta, followed by Saul Levine's *Light Licks:
By The Waters of Babylon: I Want To Paint It Black*, Pablo Marin's *Diario
Colorado*; Sheri Wills' *Fever*, Mie Kurihara's *Small Poetry*, Clint Enns'
S*ears Catalogue 2011/broadcast/a single tear*, Pablo Valencia's *Blindside
II*, Tony Wu's *More Intimacy*, Stephanie Wuertz's *Luilekkerland*, Sam
Hoolihan's *Summer Elsewhere*, Jason Halprin's *I Colonize the Golden
Triangle*, Ross Meckfessel's *He, She, I Was*, and Gordon Nelson's *Feather*
.