[Frameworks] experiments in karaoke.

Christopher Harris charris91 at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 26 18:14:32 UTC 2013

Roger,
ewww... how can i see the other videos?
CH

From: rogerbb at ufl.edu
To: frameworks at jonasmekasfilms.com
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 15:35:54 +0000
Subject: [Frameworks] experiments in karaoke.

All,

Years ago the PDX Film Festival (R.I.P.) asked a bunch of filmmakers to make karaoke videos for the PDX Karaoke Throwdown.  I made one (for Mudhoney's "Touch Me I'm Sick") that, if I may risk immodesty, was a pretty big hit with those people who didn't
 feel scarred for life by it.  (Apparently not everyone thinks syphilitic discharge is as hilarious as I do.)  I've struggled to find ways to screen this as part of my touring multi-projector show, but I think I've finally realized that it's just too disruptive
 alongside my other films.

HOWEVER, I recently had what seems (for the moment) to be a good idea about an alternate mode of presentation, but it's something I'd need your help with:  I was thinking that it might be interesting to screen the video at a regular karaoke night.  Most
 karaoke nights still use DVDs for playback, right?  (I imagine some are switching over to computer-based systems, but hopefully that transition is not yet complete.)  What I'm proposing (for anyone who's read this far and is still interested) is that I could
 provide the DVD files or even a burned DVD for anyone who'd be interested in taking this video to his/her local karaoke night and asking the KJ to allow him/her to perform it.  Not sure how many k.jocks would be willing to insert something sight unseen, but
 I thought it could be interesting if they would.  Expanded cinema?  Maybe.  Definitely a way of disrupting the normal flow of one of those evenings.

So, yeah, if you're interested in taking a look at the video, I've just made it viewable on my Vimeo channel:

https://vimeo.com/26431156

If you want to take it out to a karaoke night near you, let me know & I can get you the files or a disc.  And if you want to document your performance, that'd be even better.

Hope this doesn't sound too self promoting.  I should note that there are lots of other really wonderful videos in the series by other makers of note (Bryan Boyce, Matt McCormick, Jodie Mack, Ben Russell, Jeanne Liotta, Ben Coonley, Bill Brown & Sabine
 Gruffat, Michael Robinson, Shana Moulton, and more), so the whole program's really worth revisiting for those tempted to attempt a full night of exp. karaoke.

Best,
Roger