[Frameworks] copyrighted music in underground/experimental/avant-garde cinema

Matěj Strnad matej.strnad at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 15:08:45 CST 2013

Thanks for all the replies, everyone.

I was slightly heading towards what John mentioned, like "I decided to go
ahead with using it as I lacked the money to get a U.S. clear song and
since I had no expectations of the film ever being sold or broadcast." or "I
will probably not ever risk using a song in the PD again in any major work.
Unless its something very unique it seems like too much hassle".

The situation has clearly changed dramatically, with Youtube (and it's more
or less worldwide coverage, content recognition etc.) being the standard.
To be on the safe side you don't even "risk using a PD song". Or what you
can also do is to make a Youtube-only video, accept the rules and the ads,
and merrily put Madonna or whatever in it.

The trouble is also what John calls "no expectations", because not only
that those can turn out to be wrong (and either you or someone else finds
that the work deserves more recognition/presence). It is also that of
course people expect different things in different times, which is where my
concern about older works with protected music comes from, when the
realistic expectations meant something like a few unlisted screenings and
one or two festivals maybe (given that the programmer could pull it of and
screen it or smth).

But on the Internet (and with the current omnipresence of Youtube in
particular), there is very little of such underground around which these
"expectations" could evolve. (Ubuweb is one of those perhaps, with all of
it's pros and cons).

I also have to note that I have no *personal* interest in this, because I
definitely prefer "free" or "unsigned" music and my favourite kind of film
soundtrack is a running 16 mm projector, so I don't care much about Youtube
or Ubuweb either. But I find it to be a very intriguing situation indeed
(and I worry about some of the old stuff).

Matej