[Frameworks] 8mm/16mm looping

Ryder White ryder.white at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 01:54:15 CST 2013

hi matthew,

what do you need to achieve with the loop? 10ft is pretty easy, especially
for 16mm. if you want to hang the loop or make it change direction i would
recommend using daylight spools–that is, if you don't mind some fine
scratches. anything can be used to help form a loop...some have suggested
coathangers, suspended wire, and i have a friend who uses those 1" steel
rings that unclip (i think they are office supplies...they have a hinge and
are used to clip things together through a hole punch) to suspend the film
which is also good because it only touches the edges of the film and keeps
it much cleaner. regardless, there is going to be crap accumulating in your
projector so make sure you can clean it at intervals.

most of what i know about loops comes from old frameworks conversations
anyway, so i won't take the credit away from other people...it's googlable
on the archive. there was a thread about "the loop" in academic writing on
FW about a week ago, come to think of it.

oh! and one thing i really like is if you can have your film illuminated
from the back so it's easy to look though (if the projector is in a public
space). just lends kind of a neat sculptural touch.

cheers,

RW