[Frameworks] The $3, 000 open source multi-format 8/16/35 scanner project called Kinograph

Jeff Kreines jeff at kinetta.com
Thu Jul 18 02:53:32 UTC 2013

On Jul 17, 2013, at 9:58 AM, Rick Prelinger <footage at panix.com> wrote:

> We scan around 350,000 frames a day  on our Muller scanner. A two-shift operation working with fully-assembled small gauge reels would typically run over a million frames/day per scanner.

Scanning speed is usually related to resolution, as higher-resolution sensors (with global shutters and good dynamic range, usually CCDs) are slower than lower resolution sensors.  Our 3296 x 2472 sensor can scan at 20+ fps, but our 5K sensor can only scan at 8 fps.  At 20 fps, in a 16 hour 2-shift day, that's about 1.1 million frames at 3.3K.  What is the resolution of the Mueller?

> The AEO-Light software Matt uses to read and convert optical tracks is great, but it's far from real-time at this point.

Now called AEO-Sound.  The PC version runs at about 1/3 realtime, which is a huge improvement.  Interestingly, you can run several threads of it at the same time.  One Kinetta owner runs eleven copies of it at night on a Mac, which effectively speeds things up.  The quality of AE0-Sound is far better than most analog reproducers, and it deals with problem tracks -- negative tracks, VD tracks, mis-positioned tracks -- very well.  Plus, no added wow-and-flutter from analog reproduction.  Kudos to the father of AEo-Sound, Greg Wilsbacher at the University of South Carolina, who scans a lot of 35mm newsreel negative with AEO-Light negative VD tracks on his Kinetta.

Jeff Kreines
Kinetta
jeff at kinetta.com
kinetta.com