[Frameworks] Jud Yalkut RIP

Jonathan Walley walleyj at denison.edu
Sun Jul 28 15:00:30 UTC 2013

The exhibition of Yalkut's work earlier this year in Dayton was remarkable,
especially for its inclusion of lesser known works: Ernst-esque collages
and some really cool paracinematic objects, among other things. Some of
these are on view here, in a very nice piece written just before the
exhibition:

http://daytonarts.wordpress.com/2013/01/24/jud-yalkut/

An official announcement of the retrospective is here:

http://www.udayton.edu/news/articles/2013/01/yalkut_visions_and_sur_realities.php

Both links mention the curators in Dayton who organized the event. Though I
thought it could have been done better, especially the film and video
portion, it was certainly eye-opening. Anyone interested in future curation
or preservation of Yalkut's work might want to be in touch with the Dayton
folks; he lived there for decades and was deeply involved with the local
arts community.

Sadly, I was hoping to have Jud to Denison sometime this year, having met
him in Dayton - he was accessible, quietly and unpretentiously articulate,
and a font of knowledge about work and artists in a wide range of media. I
do hope he gets more attention, even if it does come late.

Jonathan

Jonathan Walley
Associate Professor
Department of Cinema