[Frameworks] Which Super8 Stock Should I Use?

elliottlan at aol.com elliottlan at aol.com
Thu Jun 20 01:39:56 UTC 2013

I disagree with Jeff. You can get great results with negative film. First of all, you can modify the telecine transfer you get with color filters and there are ways to create various film looks with final cut, avid, etc. I am not familiar with precisely which filters or efx apps you need to do this, but its not that complex to get it done or try to do it yourself. Secondly if you do a supervised transfer they can do a lot of color alteration during the transfer. One of the better places to transfer super 8 to digital is http://www.spectrafilmandvideo.com  I can't find it again, but I saw a sample online of a music video shot on negative film that was gorgeous. I wrote and asked them which film stock it was and they said it was the Kodak 200 speed film, but it seemed too fine grain to be 200, so i am not sure the guy who wrote to me was correct. He gave me a general answer, not specific to the clip I asked about. Anyway, the point it, try it yourself. I know you don;t have money so maybe spectra is too expensive. BW is a good way to go if you feel its the right film to use to express your intentions. You can also get Fuji Velvia color transparency film which is reloaded into super 8 cassettes from Spectra and a few other places. Its got the potential for very rich fine grain and gorgeous colors, but when I used to shoot color film, I felt I had to stay away from sunlight as it makes the colors terrible.  Negative has more latitude.
I can