[Frameworks] Silence

Esperanza Collado esperanzacollado1 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 09:53:59 UTC 2013

Hi Jaime,

I highly recommend reading Gianni Vattimo's "The Death or Decline of Art",
which is a chapter in his book *The End of Modernity* (1996??). That
specific chapter is very clarifying in terms of the different strategies
that the avant-garde took in the historical context of the 60s and 70s as a
sort of suicidal protest against the aesthetization of life. The strategies
were the silence in enunciation, negation and the kitsch, visible in the
ways art was questioning and problematizing its own conditions of reception
and presentation. It is a very exciting reading based on ideas of Adorno,
Hegel and Heidegger.

Let me know if you can find it, as I may have a scanned copy somewhere.

Best,

Esperanza.

2013/3/5 Alistair Stray <alistair.stray at gmail.com>

> Also, Susan Sontags 'The aesthetics of silence'. Can I ask what
> philosophical framework(s) you're using ?
>
> - Stray.
>
> On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 8:38 AM, Antonio <in.an.autumn.garden at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> hi
>>
>> this
>> Indirect Language and the Voices of Silence - Maurice Merleau-Ponty
>> (essay on painting)
>> https://cdn.anonfiles.com/1349073532590.pdf
>>
>> and Silence/ Lectures and Writings by Cage
>>
>> if you look for more references and ebooks online check this out
>> http://aaaaarg.org/login
>>
>> cheers
>>
>> a.
>>
>> 2013/3/5 jaime cleeland <ethnomite at yahoo.co.uk>:
>> > I am doing a philosophy paper and was thinking of how the question of
>> > silence is dealt within Art.  Any pointers ?
>> >
>> > Jaime

Esperanza Collado