[Frameworks] Film Preservation, Recording Sound for Film, Alternative Processing Techniques +

steve cossman stevecossman at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 12 15:09:20 UTC 2013

 Frameworkers,
 I hope this message finds you all well and warm.  I'm writing to share a few of the listings for April's MONO NO AWARE workshop series:
 Intro to Film Preservation - In this workshop students will learn how to properly organize, safeguard, and preserve their own film works. The one-session workshop is designed to introduce filmmakers to proper archival practices. Topics covered will include: where and how to store film; how to make a proper inventory of your work; how to clean film prints and projectors; and how to work with laboratories to produce film and video protection masters. Through demonstrations and hands-on examples, as well as a question and answer session, we plan to cover all the essential information artists working today need to know about film preservation. ONLY $ 75
Alternative Processing Techniques - An adventure into the outer boundaries of film processing! Working with small, five-foot strips of 16mm film, students will conduct a number of experiments designed to explore the full range of creative possibilities in photographic processing. Techniques explored will include: solarizing, extreme push/pull processing, cross-processing, selective development, chemical applications, and custom-made developers. Following the first sessions, students will begin to devise their own experiments and work towards completing a final project. Finished films will be presented after the conclusion of the course at our student screening. ONLY $125
 Recording Sound for Film - Sound is often an overlooked crucial element to the filmmaking process. Learn the basics of digital recorders, shot gun microphones, lavalier microphones and spot microphones and hear the difference in your films. All equipment and materials will be provided for.  The final evening will be a in-studio session at instructor Tim Korn’s personal studio, covering post-production dialogue editing and sound design. Finished projects will be presented after the conclusion of the course at our student screening. ONLY $110
Producing for Independent Film - In this workshop, students will learn the fundamentals of producing a film project.  Over four sessions, students will explore the core concepts necessary to successfully manage and lead a film production from concept to distribution.  Each session focuses on a different stage in the path of a feature film.  The curriculum includes Pre-Production (budgeting, scheduling, fundraising, unions, insurance, legal), Production (crew, shooting schedule, accounting, equipment, locations), Post-Production (editorial, sound, color correction, test screenings), and Distribution (festivals, domestic market, foreign market, screeners, financials, legal).  We will also discuss the various types of opportunities available to up-and-coming producers such as digital distribution and alternative exhibition strategies. ONLY $ 125
Intro to 16mm Filmmaking - In this class students will learn 16mm filmmaking techniques from start to finish. Curriculum includes camera options, TRI-X reversal film stock, exposure, lenses, how to load, focus, run, maintain and operate the H16 Bolex Reflex and K-3 film cameras. Participants will spend one day shooting then will meet again to view the raw footage to talk about editing options and presentation. The goal is to create a short film on 16mm which you conceived, directed, shot, splice edited, and projected independently. We will also discuss how to promote your short piece through a list of friendly film festivals. All materials will be provided for. Finished projects will be presented after the conclusion of the course at our student screening. ONLY $ 185
Feel free to forward onto friends and colleagues, message boards and listservs.
Thank you for your continued support,
Steve CossmanMONO NO AWARE