[Frameworks] Eumig 300xl Super 8mm Camera

Ryder White ryder.white at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 20:11:59 UTC 2013

Hello all,

A month or two ago someone in a community I was working in gave me a super
8 camera owned by his former business to add to the arsenal of cameras our
project already uses. It's a Eumig 300xl, pretty nice camera really with a
fast lens. It worked great for the first few rolls we put through it but
recently it has been yielding footage that inexplicably turns black for a
few feet at a time. This phenomenon seems unrelated to other functions of
the camera–it happens at the beginning of shots, in the middle of shots,
sometimes spans multiple shots. It happens at 18fps, 9fps, and single
frame. And all other factors besides! We're shooting Tri-x and
handprocessing it so originally I thought it was a processing error but the
frames in the black sections will show no sign of exposure when inspected
with a loupe, not even frame lines, when the good portions of the film come
out perfect.

I've been totally unable to wrap my brain around this problem, but maybe
it's something totally obvious. Has anyone run into this problem before? Or
does anyone have a 300xl manual?

Many thanks,

Ryder