[Frameworks] Anyone else like me out there?

Tom Whiteside tom.whiteside at duke.edu
Sun Mar 17 13:09:06 UTC 2013

Doug Graves started this thread, but I think a lot of people either feel the same way, or felt that way at one time. When I got started in experimental film in the late 70’s/early 80’s one of my heroes was Patti Smith, the one who said “I am an American artist and I have no guilt.”

Although there was no one to share it with, I used to say “I am an American artist and I have no guild.”

So perhaps a sense of humor will help, Doug. I will also say that over the years I have found a variety of ways to connect with other artists and to the general public (ie, potential audiences) and that has lessened the feelings of isolation. It really is DIY, no question about it. There is a lot of solitary work, but that would probably be true if you were a painter, composer, etc. So just keep going, be serious about your art, don’t expect to be a superstar, and take advantage of the opportunities that you can find. This forum itself is a valuable resource, for example.

Best of luck to you.

Tom Whiteside        Durham Cinematheque        Durham, NC