[Frameworks] textbook recommendation

John Knecht jknecht at colgate.edu
Sun May 12 01:49:52 UTC 2013

I would suggest Scott MacDonald's books "Adventures of Perception"
University of California Press 2009 and "Avant Garde Film/Motion Studies"
Cambridge Univ. press 1993 and P. Adams Sitneys "Visionary Film: The
American Avant-Garde 1943-2000" Third Edition,  Oxford Univ. Press 2002.

I have taught these books in seminars on the history of the avant garde
cinema at Colgate University and they worked very well.

John Knecht

On Sat, May 11, 2013 at 2:38 PM, Jonathan Walley <walleyj at denison.edu>wrote:

> Scott (et. al.),
>
> Your CRITICAL CINEMA books are extremely useful, in part because they are,
> indeed, reader friendly. I would say that about MOTION STUDIES, too. I hope
> it's clear that my point was that I don't think there is a single broad
> historical survey of avant-garde cinema, so that anyone who wishes to teach
> a survey course on the subject must cull together material from different
> sources, including most definitely your books. I've used several of your
> interviews and other writings in classes I've taught, as well as in my own
> research.
>
> Maybe it's wrongheaded of me to hope for a "complete" history - and as I
> suggested in my last post, anyone who attempted such a thing would probably
> be in for a lot of flack. I don't know that a historical survey ala
> Bordwell/Thompson's or David Cook's would ever find a publisher: no matter
> how broad such a study would be, it would still be too narrow and
> specialized to be appealing as a textbook to an academic publisher. And
> perhaps the very idea is anathema to the avant-garde spirit. Imagine the
> "for dummies"-style prose of a college textbook (MgGraw-Hill's "The Big
> Book of Avant-Garde Cinema") applied to Brakhage, or Frampton, or Rainer -
> yikes. But I would still like to see, one of these days, a broad,
> synthetic, and straightforward account of the subject, as it might
> encourage more teaching of this kind of cinema at the college or even high
> school level.
>
> Best,
> Jonathan
>

> On Sat, May 11, 2013 at 2:10 PM, <scott at financialcleansing.com> wrote:
>
>> *Jonathan,*
>> *    I've always hoped that my Critical Cinema books might be useful for
>> undergraduates as introductory texts. They do not pretend to provide
>> anything like a "complete" history, but these volumes can provide a sense
>> of the world of avant-garde cinema and the thinking of (some of) the
>> filmmakers who have energized this particular world of cinema.*
>> *
>> *
>> *Scott*

John Knecht, Russell Colgate Distinguished
 University Professor of Art and Art History
 and Film and Media Studies