[Frameworks] World Film Locations: Vancouver

Flick Harrison flick at flickharrison.com
Tue May 21 23:51:01 UTC 2013

Hey all,

We just had a great launch last week for a new book to which I contributed, along with Colin Browne, Diane Burgess, Amy Kazymerchyk and several others.  World Film Locations: Vancouver is part of a series published out of London by Intellect which analyzes the way various production centres express themselves on screen.

As I researched my articles and gathered clips for a compilation which was shown at the launch, I was struck by the way a city's filmmaking and architectural identity can emerge from scattered scenes - contextualized precisely by the cinematic cues and iconic stars of various periods -- and yet the same collage can completely conceal the social and political framework of the same city.

Here's a link to the book on Amazon.ca.

http://tinyurl.com/b7eohe8

I probably should have announced this event on the list, but after the fact, here's the info on the book itself:

Vancouver, the fourth largest film and television production center in North America, has hosted Hollywood filmmakers from Robert Altman and Dennis Hopper to Jason Reitman and Brad Bird, and is home to independent talent such as Bruce Sweeney and Mina Shum. World Film Locations: Vancouver offers insight into how so-called “runaway” productions from Hollywood use Vancouver as a stand-in for other locations and it highlights the work of Canadian filmmakers who deserve more attention. Thirty-eight analyses of different film scenes reveal the cinematic city in its myriad forms, while spotlight essays provide insight into the creativity and contradictions of Vancouver’s film industry throughout the ages. The volume presents Vancouver’s rich diversity and complexity, where magnificent marine and mountain views are both showcased and masked, downtown landmarks provide the backdrop for thrilling sequences, and lesser-known neighborhoods frame intriguing characters and plotlines. This book offers new perspectives on the relationship between the movies and the metropolis.

- Flick

* FLICK's WEBSITE:
http://www.flickharrison.com

↑ Grab this Headline Animator