[Frameworks] de-dusting scanned film footage

Aaron F. Ross aaron at digitalartsguild.com
Sat May 25 23:35:00 UTC 2013

It is absolutely necessary to have full control
over color spaces and codecs if you wish to move
digital imagees back and forth between applications.

What is the format/codec of the source video?
What is the format/codec of the FCP editing timeline?
To what format/codec are you exporting the single frames?
What is the current color space in FCP?
What is the current color space in Photoshop?
How is Photoshop interpreting the incoming single
frames? Is the embedded profile being applied?

The main bugaboo around this pipeline is that if
your video footage is YCbCr, then if you save out
an individual frame, it's likely to convert to a
different color space such as sRGB.

Frankly, my advice would be to do the job in
After Effects. It's very easy to touch up and
rotoscope footage. Just make sure to set the
color settings to match what you've got in FCP.

Regards,

Aaron