[Frameworks] painted film finisher

Melanie Wilmink melaniewilmink at gmail.com
Mon May 27 16:53:30 UTC 2013

Hi Jarrett,
I've used clear nail polish successfully, but it's really just a stopgap to
transfer it, not a permanent solution. If you send the film off for public
screenings without a print it's pretty much guaranteed that the
projectionists will be extremely annoyed at a print that is gunking up
their equipment. It will also be difficult to project it properly as it
might make the film jump around in the gate since it's not perfectly smooth
anymore. If you're just projecting it for yourself, or intending to
stabilize it for a transfer, the nail polish seems to work fine though.

Also if you haven't seen it already, Helen Hill's Recipes for Disaster is
an excellent handmade film resource -
http://www.angoleiro.com/cine_texts/recipes_for_disaster_hill.pdf. I can't
seem to find an official online publication of it, but the official
memorial website with more information on the author is
http://www.helenhill.org.

Cheers,
Melanie Wilmink