[Frameworks] seminal writing on American a/g film after 76

Jack Sargeant jack at jacktext.net
Fri Nov 8 10:12:18 UTC 2013

Hi

Not sure how you are defining avant-garde, but what follows is a list of books (and a couple of articles and / or chapters) that deal in whole or part with experimental / underground / avant-garde (?) cinema post '76, or are over views which trace the influence of a pre-76 filmmaker beyond '76.

best

Jack Sargeant

Steve Anker, Kathy Geritz, Steve Seid, eds, Radical Light: Alternative Film And Video in the San Francisco Bay Area, 1945-2000, University of California Press, Berkeley, 2010

Dirk de Bruyn, ‘D-Light + MM2 = Dutch Experimental Film’ in Senses of Cinema, issue 34, February 8th, 2005

Ian Christie, ‘Histories of the Future: Mapping the Avant-Garde’ Film History, Vol 20, 2008

Martha Gever, John Greyson and Pratibha Parmar, eds, Queer Looks: Perspectives on Lesbian and Gay Film and Video, Routledge, London, 1993

Branden W Joseph, Beyond the Dream Syndicate, Tony Conrad and the Arts After Cage (A ‘Minor’ History), Zone Books, New York, 2011.

George Kuchar, ‘Cans and Cassettes’, Journal of Film and Video, Vol 57, no 1 / 2, Spring / Summer 2005

Andrew Perchuk and Rani Singh, eds, Harry Smith The Avant Garde In The American Vernacular, Getty Research Institute, Los Angeles, 2010

Susanne Pfeffer, ed, You Killed Me First: The Cinema of Transgression, Koenig Books, London, 2012

Duncan Reekie Subversion: The Definitive History of Underground Film, Wallflower Press, London, 2007

 A. L. Rees A History of Experimental Film and Video: From the Canonical Avant-Garde to Contemporary British Practice, BFI, London, 1999

 Jack Sargeant, Deathtripping: The Extreme Underground, Soft Skull, New York, 2007 (first published as Deathtripping: The Cinema of Transgression, 1995, Creation Books, London, 1995)

 Jack Sargeant, Naked Lens: Beat Cinema, Soft Skull, New York, 2009 (1997)

 Jack Sargeant, ‘This Is Hardcore’, in Firoza Elavia, ed, Cinematic Folds: The Furling and Unfurling of Images, Pleasure Dome, Toronto, 2008

Jack Stevenson Land of a Thousand Balconies: Discoveries and Confessions of a B-Movie Archaeologist, Critical Vision, Manchester, 2003

Jack Stevenson Scandinavian Blue: The Erotic Cinema of Sweden and Denmark in the 1960s and 1970s, McFarland and Company, Inc, Publishers, Jefferson and London, 2010