[Frameworks] editing 16mm

Fred Camper f at fredcamper.com
Mon Nov 25 04:49:38 UTC 2013

Quoting Kevin Obsatz <kevin at videohaiku.com>:

> My goal isn't a perfectly clean, seamless print, but I'm wondering
> if there are any tips I should follow. I heard a rumor once that
> Brakhage would include frames of black leader in between shots to
> make splices less visible - but that could be just a dumb rumor.

It's true, but he used two frames. A cement-spliced shot one frame
long is probably more likely to break or otherwise become damaged in
printing.

You can detect these "pauses" not only in the film strip but on
screen, and the less-harsh cut with a "wink" in its middle has a
different feel than a harder cut And often in the same films Brakhage
would include cuts made in the camera, thus without the two frames of
black.

But I concur with the other advice you have gotten about using a pro
for A&B rolling, assuming you're going for a clean clear "look."

Fred Camper
Chicago