[Frameworks] Tonight 11/25 10PM: Lizzie Borden's WORKING GIRLS at Spectacle (Final screening!)

Katie Bradshaw bradshaw.kathryna at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 16:12:30 UTC 2013

Greetings!

Tonight (Mon. 11/25) is the final screening of* Lizzie Borden's WORKING
GIRLS (1986)* at Spectacle (124 S. 3rd St., Brooklyn). The screening starts
at 10 PM and is $5. We have been very excited to present this film a few
times this month, and hope you are able to make it tonight!

Independent filmmaker Lizzie Borden, director of the underground feminist
classic BORN IN FLAMES (1983), directed her next feature WORKING GIRLS in
1986. WORKING GIRLS is a fictional film following three prostitutes working
in a Manhattan brothel through one long day at work.

*In this culture one hears constantly about the sacrifice you have to make
for doing prostitution. I’ve been attacked by everyone: by feminists who
say, ‘You’re soft-peddling prostitution; prostitution is wrong’; and by
spiritual women who say you can’t have all these sexual encounters without
doing damage to your soul. But nobody criticizes the forty-hour workweek.
Nobody criticizes the fact that for the most part people are trained into
positive thinking about jobs that don’t make use of half their talents.
There are bad things about prostitution, but they’re not the ones you see
in the movies.* - LB

Full description & trailer at http://www.spectacletheater.com/working-girls/
.
Recommended reading:  “Interview with Lizzie Borden.” Author(s): Scott
MacDonald and Lizzie Borden. Feminist Studies, Vol. 15, No. 2, The
Problematics of Heterosexuality (Summer, 1989), pp. 327-245. Available in *A
Critical Cinema 2*.

Spectacle is a community screening space in Williamsburg, Brooklyn,
established and staffed entirely by volunteers. Our programming encompasses
overlooked works, offbeat gems, contemporary art, political polemics, live
performance and more. Shows are $5 unless noted as free.

Best wishes,
Katie Bradshaw

--
*KATIE BRADSHAW*