[Frameworks] Stock and exposure for shooting image onto optical track

Adam R. Levine adamrl at gmail.com
Wed Oct 9 17:00:06 UTC 2013

Dear...gang,

I have a couple of questions about exposing an image onto 16mm optical
track and a search in the FW archives didn't turn up too much.

 I've always assumed that B&W stocks, preferably reversal, render a more
contrasty image which produces bolder sound, but is this correct? I'm
curious if a stock with more latitude would give a variety in tone or just
a weak or indistinct sound. And the same goes for color - I'm guessing that
maybe sound heads are only reading shape and contrast, and as such the
color spectrum doesn't also produce a "spectrum" of sound, but maybe
someone on the list can confirm that for me?

Thanks so much,
Adam