[Frameworks] Stock and exposure for shooting image onto optical track

Jodie Mack jodiemack77 at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 9 21:50:10 UTC 2013

Hi Adam,
I've made four films with a super16mm camera over the past few years. So, I have a tiny bit of insight, though I really feel as though I'm just scratching the surface.As you suspect, you will not produce a spectrum of sound from a spectrum of color (at least, via the mechanics of the optical soundtrack).I have, however, made three films in this method shooting color images on color stock. You'll get sounds, but the optical bulb basically reads contrast/difference between light and dark, not color. (Also, in color stock, you will also hear the frame lines.) The rule of thumb: the size of the details in the image will govern the pitch of your sound (smaller = higher, larger = lower). I have attached an image that draws a correlation between the size and frequency of horizontal lines per 12 frames and musical pitches.
Recently, I completed another super16mm sound film on b/w stock made for shooting optical soundtracks: 3378. I had fantastic results, as this stock is practically the same as 7363 (which, sadly, is double perf and thus useless for this method). Because it's not really a camera stock, it's hard to say what the actual ASA of this stock really is (some say 2, others say between 6-8). From my results, I'd guess it's about ASA 8. As usual, you'll probably need to run a test!
I hope this is helpful. Please feel free to contact me off list for links to some of my experiments. I also have a few music students who are beginning to make instruments from old projectors, so I could put you all in touch if you like.
All the best,
Jodie MackAssistant Professor of AnimationDartmouth College