[Frameworks] Experimental Film and Expanded Cinema in Argentina?

Federico J Windhausen fjw2031 at nyu.edu
Sun Sep 8 22:59:57 UTC 2013

Hello Frameworkers,

Pablo gets his information about my forthcoming article from a reliable
source - me. The article will cover recent developments in Argentine
experimental cinema. I'll post it on Frameworks when it is published.

The filmmakers already named in earlier messages are a good starting point.
There are quite a few others making films as well, but their work has not
begun to travel outside the country. There are points of overlap between
different communities of filmmakers and video artists, but the scene in
Buenos Aires, for instance, cannot be characterized as a cohesively
organized one, and it does have its share of factionalism. In addition,
there is no one centralized and comprehensive source of information about
the contemporary experimental film and video that is being made and shown
in Argentina.

There has definitely been a spike in activity in the past few years. During
my most recent stay in Buenos Aires, in July and August of this year, it
was possible to see at least one screening and/or film performance of new
work a week. Also, a number of artists and filmmakers were conducting
workshops and seminars outside of the universities and conservatories that
were very well attended. Their classes are mostly technical and
practice-oriented, and they have covered topics such as  "precarious
projections" without film, Super 8 performances, Super 8 and 35mm film
developing, and found footage filmmaking.

I also responded to Jonathan off-list, but for those with an interest in
this topic, I will plug programmer Federico Lanchares' festival Semana III
del Film Experimental, which is scheduled for November 7-9, 2013 in La
Plata, Argentina (a one-hour bus ride from downtown Buenos Aires). His
email address is federico41 at hotmail.com

The 2011 edition of the Semana del Film Experimental included work by
Magdalena Jitrik, Narcisa Hirsch, Horacio Vallereggio, Jorge Honik,
Silvestre Byrón, Magdalena Arau, Paulo Pécora, Hernán Khourián, Horacio
Vallereggio, Ernesto Baca and Rob Conlazo & Summum, María Rosa Andreotti,
Azucena Losana y Eduardo Meléndez and Pablo Mazzolo. The 2012 edition
included films by Julio César Otero Mancini and Emiliano Cativa, as well as
two non-Argentines, Juan José Mugni and Chris Kennedy.

Federico