[Frameworks] Explosives for space pirates film

Scott Dorsey kludge at panix.com
Sun Sep 8 23:15:02 UTC 2013

Just call a local pyro guy.  Safer to have a pyro guy do the job for you,
probably cheaper in the long run.  If you call up and say you're an
experimental filmmaker with no money you might find someone willing to do
the job for the price of beer.

Black powder, strictly speaking, isn't an explosive, and you should be able
to buy it at a gun store.... problem is that it comes in a variety of mixes
from a very fast-burning pistol powder to a slow-burning blasting powder,
it smells awful, and it tends to go off much too easily compared with modern
explosives.  The vast amount of black smoke is also a giveaway in a space
pirate film.

A pyro guy should have a variety of small squibs available that will do the
job more safely without so much smoke.

That said... if you have a 16mm print of the film when it's completed,
PLEASE let me know and I'll see about screening it at the Arisia science
fiction convention....
--scott