[Frameworks] Fees for music rights.

John Woods jawoods01 at yahoo.ca
Tue Sep 10 13:16:37 UTC 2013

That amount sounds very healthy for an indie label. Enough money to justify the DVD rights too. For majors they have so much overhead that they need huge amounts. Majors usually have a list of the songs with costs for the rights and its pretty straight forward.

However, unless you think the song is absolutely amazingly perfect you can probably find music for free or nearly free. Experimental or not its not realistic to make any profit off a short film. But the film will have a life that will give the musician exposure to audiences they might not normally get. The question is whether you think the film with this song is worth the $1000, if you absolutely can't live without it then yes but if there are other soundtrack options then why drop so much coin?

Years ago I was able to secure festival rights for free from a local band with an international reputation. The indie label they are on was in the U.S. and basically said 'yeah whatever' signed my little release form and that was that. Indie labels are often just a few people in an office so its possible to get things done that way.

The thing no one talks about is that since you have no dvd or broadcast chances you could've probably just used the song with no one knowing. Festivals don't investigate if you've got the song rights or notand record labels don't send spies to experimental film screenings.Since you contacted the label this is not really an option anymore as they are now aware of your project but its worth a thought in the future.Youtube is full of videos with songs with no secured rights.

John