[Frameworks] A Tribute to Anne Charlotte Robertson

Tara Nelson brendamerenda at gmail.com
Sat Sep 14 23:48:29 UTC 2013

*PRESS RELEASE

THE HARVARD FILM ARCHIVE PRESENTS

**I WANTED TO SEE HOW I LIVED, I WANTED TO LOVE MYSELF AND MY PAST.*
*A TRIBUTE TO ANNE CHARLOTTE ROBERTSON** September 15 – 16, 2013*

CAMBRIDGE, MA: The Harvard Film Archive is pleased to present *I WANTED TO
SEE HOW I LIVED, I WANTED TO LOVE MYSELF AND MY PAST. **A TRIBUTE TO ANNE
CHARLOTTE ROBERTSON* September 15 – 16, 2013**
** **
*About the filmmaker:*
Influenced by filmmakers as diverse as Ed Pincus and Carolee Schneemann,
Anne Charlotte Robertson (1949 – 2012) was a Boston area Super 8 filmmaker
who examined and shared her life through her work – a mix of essay,
performance and stop-motion animation. Anne completed her graduate degree
at Massachusetts College of Art in the 1980s – honing her filmmaking skills
under the tutelage of Saul Levine. Diagnosed with various and changing
mental disorders, Anne faced several breakdowns and mental hospitals –
experiences she documented and exorcised thoroughly through her films –
particularly within the annals of *Five Year Diary* (1981-1997), a project
spanning nearly two decades.****
 ****
Though relentlessly intense and emotional, her films are not entirely
bleak, for her bracing self-awareness and humor energize and bring a rare
effulgence to the depths of her darkest moments.  Anne boldly exposed her
most intimate and obsessive inner dialogues – from illness, breakdowns and
longing for love to diets, cats and the minutia of existence.  She also
considered the filmmaking experience therapeutic and cited the process as
helping cure her depression.****
 ****
Anne died of cancer September 15, 2012 leaving behind an archive of a life
passionately examined, primarily through the rough warmth of Super 8. Most
of her work was created on Super 8 sound film featuring a soundtrack on the
film, with additional audio on cassette and narrated live by Anne, creating
many layers of sound and story. The original materials have been digitally
transferred and are presented here on DigiBeta.****
 ****
The Harvard Film Archive, home to the Anne Charlotte Robertson Collection,
is honored to pay tribute, over the course of two evenings, to the vivid
insights and imagination of a pioneer of experimental first-person cinema.
*– Liz Coffey, HFA Film Conservator*
** **
*Special thanks: Toni Treadway and Saul Levine*
** **
*Film schedule:*
 ****
Sunday September 15 at 7pm****
*Apologies*
*I apologize for everything; another exercise in self-therapy. –* Anne
Charlotte Robertson****
US 1986, digital video, color, 17 min****
 ****
*Talking to Myself*
*Double-exposed self faces self, wrangling, complaining, trying to hear
oneself think.* – ACR****
US 1985, digital video, color, 3 min****
 ****
*Locomotion*
*Overdoses, breakdown, and rage at system in a stylized mental hospital
isolation room.* – ACR****
US 1981, digital video, color, 7 min****
 ****
*Five Year Diary, Reel 22: A Short Affair and Going Crazy*
US 1982, digital video, color, 27 min****
** **
*Five Year Diary, Reel 23: A Breakdown and After the Mental Hospital*
US 1928, digital video, color, 27 min****
 ****
TRT = 81 minutes****
http://hcl.harvard.edu/hfa/films/2013julsep/robertson.html#one****
** **
 ****
Monday September 16 at 7pm****
*Subways*
*Lightshow in public transit tunnels, patterns and flashes, screeching and
bells.* – ACR****
US 1976, digital video, color, 13 min****
 ****
*Going to Work*
*Daily morning trudge and trolley through snow and ice; pigeons, other
winter beauties.* – ACR****
US 1981, digital video, color, 7 min****
 ****
*My Cat My Garden and 9/11*
*My adored cat Zouina died a week before the tragedy; a week after, my
garden died.* – ACR****
US 2001, digital video, color, 6 min****
 ****
*Five Year Diary, Reel 80 – Emily Died (second edit)*
US 1994, digital video, color, 27 min****
** **
*Five Year Diary, Reel 81 – Mourning Emily*
US 1995, digital video, color, 27 min****
 ****
TRT: 80 min****
http://hcl.harvard.edu/hfa/films/2013julsep/robertson.html#two****
** **
** **
This press release and photos are available for download on the press page
of the Harvard Film Archive’s website:
http://hcl.harvard.edu/hfa/general_info.html#press. The user name and
password are hfapress.  Please contact bgravely at fas.harvard.edu for
additional photos, screeners or more information.****
** **
Harvard Film Archive
24 Quincy Street, Cambridge, MA 02138
(617) 495-4700
http://hcl.harvard.edu/hfa
General Admission Tickets $9, $7 Non-Harvard Students, Seniors, Harvard
Faculty and Staff. Harvard students free****
Special event tickets (for in-person appearances) are $12.
Tickets go on sale 45 minutes prior to show time. The HFA does not do
advance ticket sales.****
** **
Press Contact:****
Brittany Gravely****