[Frameworks] Literature and experimental film

William Wees, Dr. william.wees at mcgill.ca
Sat Sep 28 23:00:41 UTC 2013

Okay, here are a few of my favourite poetry-films (I warned you they are, shall we say, archival):

Three short films from the National Film Board of Canada: "Travellers Palm," 1977 (poem by P.K. Page); "Poen" [sic], 1967 (Leonard Cohen, "Beautiful Losers"); "A Said Poem," 1977 ("found poetry" by J. R. Colombo)
Ian Hugo, "Bells of Atlantis," 1952 (Anaïs Nin, "House of Incest")
Rick Hancox, "Waterworx," 1982 (Wallace Stevens, "A Clear Day and No Memories")
Margaret Doogan, "Screw: A Technical Love Poem," 1972 (poem by Diane Wakowski)
Ed Akerman and Colin Morton, "Primi Too Taa," 1986 (dada poem by Kurt Schwitters)
Max Crosley, "Assassination Raga," 1972 (poem by Lawrence Ferlinghetti)
Henry Hills, "Kino Da!" 1981 (Jack Hirschman, poem in manner of Russian Futurists)
Rachel Libert, "Undertaker," 1995 (poetry performance by Patricia Smith)

--Bill Wees