[Frameworks] Films about remediation

Beebe, Roger W. beebe.77 at osu.edu
Wed Apr 2 14:57:16 UTC 2014

In a similar vein to the list that Andy offers here, Hollis Frampton’s Hapax Legomena 1 (nostalgia) makes cinema out of still photos (made cinematic by burning them on a hot plate).

And closer to the titles in your original list, Josh (J.B.) Mabe’s “Pastoral” reshoots on 16mm a YouTube video of Stan Brakhage’s “Stellar,” which of course was made on 16mm film.

And if you’re interested in digital remediation of analogue tape, Evan Meaney’s “We Things at Play” turns a VHS tape from 1987 into a digital glitch fest.  Many of his videos might actually fit this call, including the final installment of his Ceibas Cycle, “The Well of Representation,” a digital remake of Hollis Frampton’s “Gloria!” as an NES-era video game with a spectral, glitched-out ending.

…
Roger