[Frameworks] The Film-Makers’ Cooperative Presents Katy Martin: Local Color

Filmmakers Cooperative filmmakerscoop at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 19:43:16 UTC 2014

*Katy Martin: Local Color *
*An Exhibition of New Digital Prints*
*April 22nd - May 22nd*

*Opening Reception on **Tuesday, April 22 at 7pm*
*With a Screening of Martin's Film and Video Work at 8pm*

*The Film-Makers' Cooperative *
*475 Park Avenue South, 6th Floor*
*$10 Suggested Donation*

The Film-Makers' Cooperative invites you to our second gallery show
featuring the artist Katy Martin, who will exhibit digital prints from her
new series, *Local Color*, and also present her recent films and videos
with her super 8mm films from the 1970s.

*Film/Video Program*
AUTOGRAPH
1976, DV (from super-8mm film), 2 minutes, silent
A simple performance that prefigures the work I do now.

DAFFODILS
1977, DV (from super 8mm film), 3 minutes, silent
A poem to my husband in the early days of our romance

BILL'S FILM SHOOT
1978, DV (from super 8mm film), 7 minutes, silent
BILL'S FILM SHOOT is from the era when I was filming friends as they were
going about their work. The film documents Bill Brand's shoot of a scene
from his 16mm film, SPLIT DECISION, that took place at a neighborhood bar.
Bill's cast and crew consisted mainly of his friends, so my film has the
feeling of a home movie. (Many of the faces will be familiar to audiences
at the Filmmakers Coop.)

APPLE BUTTER BOIL
1979-2013, DV (from super 8mm film), 8 minutes, silent
Boiling apple butter over big outdoor fires was a two-day ritual that took
place every year at the Grange Hall, next door to my house. The hot
cauldrons had to be stirred constantly, and the movements of the people
involved seemed practiced and choreographed, like a dance.

SKINSIDE OUT
by Katy Martin and Bill Brand, 2002, 16mm film, 11 minutes
A private, interior world takes shape within the coded context of shared
urban space, as images from the studio are juxtaposed with footage of a
construction barge along the Hudson River. By examining both in relation to
surface, the work paradoxically looks for what lies within.

SWAN'S ISLAND
by Katy Martin and Bill Brand, 2005, 16mm film, 5 minutes
SWAN'S ISLAND focuses on gesture in painting, and how that relates to the
hand-held camera. The emphasis is on the physicality of painting, and its
visceral connection to memory and imagination. Katy paints directly on her
skin, and as she moves, leaves marks on the floor. Bill films the body and
its trace, linking his own movement with cinematic space.

BY NIGHT - NO STILLNESS
by Katy Martin and Miriam Parker, 2009, video, 10 minutes
BY NIGHT - NO STILLNESS is a study in black, where black becomes a radiant
space within which one finds inner light. Dancer Miriam Parker and
percussionist Hamid Drake perform within a video projection of a black and
yellow painting that Katy did on Miriam's body. The set is by Jo Wood-
Brown.

BREATHING TWICE
2009, video, 7 minutes
Featuring Lu Yu reading from a text by Sima Qian, Records of the Historian
(ca. 92 BCE)
Calligraphic images of paint on skin, which the filmmaker traces on her own
body, are intercut with details of New York′s Chinatown. Meanwhile, a
classic Chinese story, about a clever messenger and a treasured piece of
jade, emerges in passing from the ambient sounds heard on Chinatown's
streets. The sound track unfolds in two languages, so the experience is
different depending on whether the viewer speaks English, Chinese, or both.

TRT ca. 53 minutes

Bio:
Katy Martin is visual artist whose work combines painting, photography and
performance. She also makes film and video. Her art has been exhibited at
The Museum of Modern Art, PPOW Gallery, Drawer 158 and Saint Peter’s Church
in New York; Galerie Forum Am Meer in Berlin, Germany; Green Dog Arts in
Belfast, Northern Ireland; and the Shanghai Duolun Museum of Art in
Shanghai, China. More info at
www.katymartin.net<http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.katymartin.net%2F&h=hAQFgKXEk&enc=AZMEW-gQQdEREeIrlhvlbu3daglMHMMMUSD50x39zg1KSOtmg7EUR8eQiNBMuYS46CY&s=1>

This exhibition and screening are funded in part by the New York State
Council on the Arts and the New York Department of Cultural Affairs.

www.film-makerscoop.com<http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.film-makerscoop.com%2F&h=jAQEEP8Yx&enc=AZOkLWy5tNey6lmH4jrDEo5AYaKYOmJSGTDDDwlbJrWZSV2hku6I6NLjg1eP8smdTsc&s=1>
--
MM Serra, Director
Corynn Loebs, Assistant to the Director