[Frameworks] Uploading long dv video online, youtube, etc.

Flick Harrison flick at flickharrison.com
Fri Apr 18 18:38:05 UTC 2014

People used to get discouraged by iDVD for the same reason - it would render and then burn in one step, so the 8-hour render would happen and then sometime it would burn the disc for another hour in there.  So if it failed when you came to check the next morning, you would have to troubleshoot - out of HD space?  Bad disc?  etc etc.with no clues.

What is the error message that comes up when it fails?

First rule of troubleshooting: isolate the problem.  You said you had no trouble uploading short clips at your "computer guy's place" - that's TWO changes, not one.  One, you tried shorter clips, and two, you used a different internet connection.  And maybe other changes. (Did you use his computer?)  Test one change at a time.  I.e. can you upload shorter clips from home?  Can you upload 90 minutes from his place?

I highly recommend exporting the file (with good compression, h264 as people have said) and then uploading it as two separate steps.  That way you can isolate problems and see how big the file is, etc, check the file on your own hard drive to see if it's actually the right size, shape etc. and plays properly.  Extra bonus, you now have a playable version of your film that you can burn to a DVD-r, DVD, or otherwise keep ahold of.

If your hard drive is formatted in fat-32, for instance, you can't create files bigger than 2 Gb.  That would cause it to fail.

What are your computer's specs:  Operating system?  Memory?  Hard drive size?  Is your hard drive full? Etc.  If you can't answer these questions, you should expect to encounter many head-scratchers in your video career.

Have you checked this:

https://support.google.com/youtube/topic/2888603?hl=en

--
* WHERE'S MY ARTICLE, WORLD? http://w`ikipedia.org/wiki/Flick_Harrison