[Frameworks] animals and human-animal relationships on film

Heath Iverson hai at st-andrews.ac.uk
Wed Apr 23 15:52:46 UTC 2014

*Electrocuting an Elephant* (1903). In which Thomas Edison, one of the
first and truly an experimental filmmaker, does just that to the poor
creature  to demonstrate the superiority of his DC electrical current to
his competitor, Nikola Tesla's, AC. Surely one of the stranger and sadder
cases of animals being caught up in inter-human behaviors.

There is also the incredibly strange and apocalyptic bug movie from 1971, *The
Hellstrom Chronicle *(Walon Green), which I can't believe won an academy
award for best documentary. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R8UN9zGD04

Oh, and what about Ladislaw Starewicz's *Cameraman's Revenge *(1912)?
Another bug classic.

Best,

Heath

On 23 April 2014 16:05, sarah browne <sarahjbrowne at yahoo.ie> wrote:

> Dear Frameworkers,
>
> I'm looking for some help in compiling a list of films that feature
> animals or human-animal relationships on film. Rather than wildlife
> documentaries (with some exceptions!) I'm more interested in the animal
> presence as an a kind of distancing tactic that allows for reflection on
> inter-human behaviours (ethics, empathy, violence). Arthouse or
> experimental material more than Babe.
>
> Any tips very gratefully received!
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Sarah Browne