[Frameworks] animals and human-animal relationships on film

Andy Ditzler andy at andyditzler.com
Wed Apr 23 17:05:34 UTC 2014

Horse (Andy Warhol) uses the mere presence of a horse (along with costumes
and other elements, but primarily the horse) to visually denote the film's
status as a Western - possibly a distancing tactic in the way you suggest,
since inter-human violence (instigated from offscreen) certainly is a
subject of the film, and there is a definite animal-human interaction as
well.

Lucien Taylor's and Verena Paravel's recent film Leviathan is an immersive
record of the activity (animal and human) on and around a fishing vessel at
sea.

Guy Sherwin's Animal Studies series, available from Canyon.

Andy Ditzler
www.filmlove.org
www.johnq.org
Graduate Institute of the Liberal Arts, Emory University