[Frameworks] Screen Recorders

Aaron F. Ross aaron at digitalartsguild.com
Wed Apr 23 23:59:19 UTC 2014

Camtasia is the gold standard for screen capture. I use it
professionally on a daily basis. It *does* capture absolutely
everything, picture and sound.

The main issue with screen capture software is the cursor. It is on a
different plane overlaid on the rest of the desktop. Some software
does not even capture the cursor at all. Camtasia works around this
by capturing the cursor commands and generating its own cursor. So it
does have minor issues. For example, if you zoom in on the screen
using Magnifier, the cursor is the wrong size and place.

But generally, Camtasia is pretty foolproof. It uses a proprietary
codec that is lossless and very, very efficient. It's worth the $300
price tag if you use it regularly.

Aaron