[Frameworks] Best route Reversal Film >> Release print?

Jeff Kreines jeff at kinetta.com
Thu Apr 24 22:41:38 UTC 2014

Julian:

It’s a real problem.  Kodak screwed all of us lovers of B&W reversal when they discontinued 7361, a great film stock with really silvery blacks and grays.  There are no reversal print stocks of any kind that I know of, unless some lab is willing to experiment and positive stock as reversal.

It’s gone.

Sure, you can make an internegative and a print, but you will have significant generation loss from those two steps, not to mention a lot of expense.  I used to do this a lot, about 40 years ago when it was cheap, but the quality was never up to a B&W reversal print.

You could consider embracing the dark side.  Kinetta Archival (disclosure — that’s me) has mastered capturing everything from contrasty film, prints, or reversal originals — without compromise.  (We just did some amazing stuff for your friend Rebecca’s father, that he shot in 1969 — in my opinion it looks better than any print could, because we have frame-by-frame control of gamma if needed.) We can make 2K or 4K DCPs if you need them.

Don’t mean to turn this into an ad, but as a lover of B&W reversal I worked very hard on getting this right.

Best,

Jeff

Jeff Kreines
Kinetta