[Frameworks] Optical Sound - filter

Jason Halprin jihalprin at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 25 20:45:32 UTC 2014

Basically, an Academy pre-empahsis filter would just be applying an EQ setting to your sound file so that it would be designed to work in conjunction with a theater's standard EQ'ing.

There was a standard "Academy Curve" that was utilized to try and create a standard for mono, and it was replaced with the use of an ISO X-Curve for stereo, which also had variances in the formula based on room size. Each of these rolls off the high and low ends of the spectrum, effectively accounting for the longer reverb of bass, and the hiss inherent in an optical soundtrack.

All of this is to say that it doesn't need to be expensive, and you could effectively copy the older Academy Curve for your mono soundtrack through the use of EQ that mimics its shape. Now, as for how good your file would sound once it becomes an optical soundtrack is a little more of an art than just applying a pre-set, but if there's not a wealth of subtlety in the shape of your sounds, or a lot of high end (over 4K) or low end (under 100hz), you should get acceptable results.

See here for a little history and explanation: THE X CURVE & Double-Head Screenings | Music of Sound

   THE X CURVE & Double-Head Screenings |...
The name sounds like some magic preset, and in a way it is, but I’m not sure if magic is quite the right description.
View on www.musicofsound.c... Preview by Yahoo

-Jason Halprin